"TRACKING THE EQUATOR" Pontianak by meiyergani
Pontianak Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 78 photos
Pontianak is the capital of the Indonesian province of West Kalimantan. It is a medium-size industrial city on the island of Borneo. Pontianak occupies an area of 107.82 km² in the delta of the Kapuas River. It is located almost precisely on the equator, hence it is widely known as Kota Khatulistiwa (Equator City).
From the facts above, it can be say that Pontianak split into two parts by a big River Kapuas and by an EQuator line, the World's longest imaginary line on the globe.
The city was formerly the capital of the independent Sultanate of Pontianak and was founded in 23 October 1771 around an old trading station on the Borneo coast. It is built on swampy ground that is subjected to regular flooding by the river, requiring buildings to be constructed on piles to keep them off the ground. It has its name due to the story that the founder had seen an appearance of Kuntilanak ghost at the place to be built for the palace, which he fought to save the people
PONTIANAK is also one of a favorit Gateway for travelers from Malaysian Part Borneo or BRUNEI DARUSSALAM.
All Tourist could take a trip from Pontianak to Kuching or to Brunei Darussalam by land transportation. A bus trip from Pontianak to Kuching scheduled twice a day, a morning bus depart at 09.00 AM and an evening bus depart at 09.00 PM, the bus would cross a borderline at Entikong and check the Passport at Entikong Indonesian Immigration, then walking 500 meters to Tebedu Malaysian Immigration check point.
A bus from Pontianak to Brunei scheduled once a day and depart from Pontianak in the afteroon and would take about 24 hours to reach Brunei Darussalam
The trip also possible by take a flight from Pontianak, Supadio Airport to Serawak, Kuching Airport which only take 30 minutes and scheduled on the daily basis by KALSTAR AIRLINE or three times a week by BATAVIA AIRLINE
TUGU KHATULISTIWA or EQUATOR MONUMENT is the landmark of the city, located at SIANTAN, 5 KM northwards the city center
Pontianak is renowned for its food and regional produce. The main industries are shipbuilding and the production of rubber, palm oil, sugar, pepper, rice and tobacco. It was formerly Borneo's main centre for gold extraction.
Pontianak is also recognised for being a trade hub between overseas cities and other cities in West Kalimantan province. It has also strong trade link with the city of Kuching, Malaysia. Trading activities are centred along the Kapuas River, which range from the easternmost part of West Kalimantan province to the South China Sea.
- Pros:River and Forest
- In a nutshell:The country split by World EQuator Line
I was taken an evening bus from Pontianak to Kuching, the bus depart from Pontianak downtown at 09.00 PM, arrive at... more travel advice
Pengkang Traditional Food. The traditional Indonesian (melayu) food, more tasteful with its “Pengkang” baked glutinous... more travel advice
meiyergani's Related Pages
Pontianak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pontianak- My Hometown"
- "Ponti and Shankouyang"
- "TRACKING THE EQUATOR"
- "~ di sini cinta pertama kali bersemi ~"
- "Cheapest food"
- "**** WEST- BORNEO WELCOME TO ALL OF U *****"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pontianak
- Hotels in Pontianak
- Transportation in Pontianak
- Nightlife in Pontianak
- Restaurants in Pontianak
- Shopping in Pontianak
- Warnings and Dangers in Pontianak
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pontianak
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Pontianak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pontianak
Photos in PontianakSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Special Capital Region of Jakarta Intro, 66 reviews, 209 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 38 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region Intro, 41 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bandung Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sumatra Province Intro, 18 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lampung Province Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues