Province of Cagayan Things to Do Tips by asianbelle Top 5 Page for this destination
Province of Cagayan Things to Do: 27 reviews and 68 photos
Calvary Hill, as the name implies, is situated on a hill and depicts the 15 stations of the cross - from the sufferings of Jesus Christ to his resurrection. Life size or "even larger than life" statues were built on the slopes upto the top of the hill where the last station can be found in the churchyard.
The church of Iguig (pronounced as Hig-ig), St. James the Apostle, was built between 1765 and 1787 and houses an authentic relic of the Jubilee cross.
Directions: Off the national highway, a very steep road heads upward to the church and hill.
Our Lady of Piat
Piat Church is where you can find the image of Our Lady of Piat. The icon arrived in Lal-lo, Cagayan in 1604 from Acapulco, Mexico, but was later transferred to Piat which became her permanent home.
The icon is said to have miraculous and healing powers. As such, it has become one of the various pilgrim sites in the country for devotees of the Virgin Mary. The ideal time to visit is on the first Sunday of the month.
Callao Cave (pronounced Ka-law, after the hornbill that used to inhabit the area) is an 8 chamber cave connected to each other. However, according to locals, the 8th cave has not been fully explored, because of the total darkness that envelops the cave, that even the use of flashlight and gas lamp proved futile.
The caves are situated atop a hill that can be reached via a 186 step concrete stairs. The best time to explore them is from mid-morning to mid-afternoon, when the light from the sun provides lumination. For instance, the 1st chamber has a "hole on the roof" (similar to Rome's Pantheon) where the light (or the rain?) passes through.
Incidentally, the 1st chamber is the only one we visited since we got there late afternoon and it was already getting dark. I almost got cold feet entering the caves, because it was getting cold, too. But after getting accustomed to the conditions, we found out that the 1st chamber already houses the chapel which is the highlight of the caves.
Directions: From the national highway, turn left upon reaching the fork in the road. Go straight until you reach the end of the road, which is around 10 kms. from the highway.
More Reviews (2)
asianbelle's Related Pages
Province of Cagayan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nature and Adventure"
- "Province of Cagayan: Land's End"
- "Road trip to Cagayan Valley"
- "Cagayan is Beaches, Waterfalls, Caves, Whitewater"
- "Cagayan Valley"
- "Conquering North"
- "CONQUERRING SIERRA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Cagayan
- Hotels in Province of Cagayan
- Transportation in Province of Cagayan
- Nightlife in Province of Cagayan
- Restaurants in Province of Cagayan
- Shopping in Province of Cagayan
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Cagayan
- See All...
Explore the World
- Connecticut Hotels
- Woodlands New Town Hotels
- Alpine Junction Hotels
- Davao City
- Clogherhead Hotels
- Michigan City
Badges & Stats in Province of Cagayan
- 7 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Province of Cagayan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Cagayan
Photos in Province of CagayanSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Manila Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 25 reviews, 30 photos
- Boracay Island Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa City Intro, 23 reviews, 22 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos
- Singapore Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacloban City Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Melaka Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baguio City Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (156)
Top Province of Cagayan hotels