"Chengdu - Home of the endangered Giant Panda." Chengdu by K.Knight
Chengdu Travel Guide: 602 reviews and 1,532 photos
Like most people that travel to the Sichuan Province of China and Chengdu, Anne and I visited the area to see the Giant pandas. The Panda Sanctuary is located close to the edge of the city and can be reached within a thirty minute drive
We were in the sanctuary for approx 3 hours and Anne was so pleased that she saw so many pandas, literally dozens.
The Leshan Giant Buddha was carved into the side of a mountain where 3 rivers meet. Its main purpose was to look over the rapids in the river and stop the deaths of so many boat people during the monsoon season.
This is the largest seated Buddha in the world and sits at over 70 meters in height
The carving began in the year 713 by a Buddhist monk, Haitong, and the Buddha was completed after 90 years of hard work. The work was interrupted when a corrupt official wanted bribes for the funds and work to continue. As a protest the monk removed his own eyes and presented them to the official!
While in Chengdu you will notice the amount of tea houses that are literally everywhere. It is not as simple as sitting down for a quiet cup of tea though! The tea ceremony that the waiter will often go through is quite elaborate and time consuming and just when you thought that he had poured you your first cup of tea…he throws it out! (Apparently the first cup is often bitter.)
At some larger and ore elaborate tea houses you can sit and enjoy a sample of Chinese opera or other form of entertainment.
- Pros:Giant Panda Sanctuary.
- Cons:It is a long way from anywhere
Poverty and despair are all that some residents of the Sichuan province have left have the massive Earthquake that... more travel advice
Anne and I were both amazed at how inexpensive it was to get around Cengdu. Like Beijing, Shanghai and Xian, Chengdu is... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Chengdu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bright lights and many motorcycles!"
- "Chengdu - Home of China's Pandas"
- "Chengdu - A city of interesting culture"
- "THE CITY OF CHENGDU"
- "Chengdu - Home of the endangered Giant Panda."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chengdu
- Hotels in Chengdu
- Transportation in Chengdu
- Nightlife in Chengdu
- Restaurants in Chengdu
- Shopping in Chengdu
- Warnings and Dangers in Chengdu
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chengdu
- 21 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Chengdu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chengdu
Photos in ChengduSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Latest Chengdu hotel reviews
- Sunjoy Inn Xinzu Binguan
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Holiday Inn Chengdu West Century City
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Wenjun Mansion Hotel
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Chengdu
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013
- Sheraton Lido Chengdu
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Sam's Guesthouse Chengdu Youth Hostel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 30, 2013
- Homeland Hotel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 4, 2013
- Chengdu California Garden Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2010
- Jin Jiang Hotel Chengdu
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2012
- Kempinski Hotel Chengdu China
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Mix Hostel
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Dreams Travel International Youth Hostel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2012
- Chengdu Xinliang Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Jinmantang International Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Sichuan Chengdu
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013