"Vanuatu - Pacific Island Paradise." Top 5 Page for this destination Vanuatu by K.Knight
Vanuatu Travel Guide: 682 reviews and 1,431 photos
Vanuatu is comprised of 82 islands with a combined population of 182,000. The capital, Port Vila, is situated on Efate Island, which is a charmingly quaint colonial town and is situated on a photogenic harbour.
The inhabitants of Port Vila are extremely friendly withe approx half of the population speaking English and the other half speaking French.
Mystery island, an uninhabited sandy islet all surrounded by coral reefs, lies to the very south of the Vanuatuan island chain. Its real name is Inyeug Island. Inyeug Island was used by the Allied forces during WWII as a landing strip for small aircraft. To this day, this airstrip is used as the airfield for the rugged, mountainous Anaton Island located about 1.5 km's from Inyeug.
Queen Elizabeth II came to Vanuatu in 1975 on the Royal Yacht Britanica and she and her party stopped off at Mystery Island for a picnic lunch.
The inhabitants of Anaton Island, located about 1.5 km's from Inyeug, paddle their canoes to Mystery island when the planes land or the cruise ships arrive. They offer a range of services from guided snorkelling safaries to a seafood feast!
- Pros:Beautiful people, beautiful scenery & beautiful weather.
- Cons:Isolated and the major towns are expensive.
Mystery island, an uninhabited sandy islet all surrounded by coral reefs, lies to the very south of the Vanuatuan island... more travel advice
When you visit Port Vila for an extended period of time and have a free day available, I would suggest the "around... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Vanuatu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I fell in love with Vanuatu..."
- "Vanuatu - Pacific Island Paradise."
- "Port Vila. Efate, Vanuatu"
- "Port Vila - Vanuatu"
- "South Pacific's best kept secret"
- "Port Vila Vanuatu"
- "Vanuatu ex New Hebrides"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vanuatu
- Hotels in Vanuatu
- Transportation in Vanuatu
- Nightlife in Vanuatu
- Restaurants in Vanuatu
- Shopping in Vanuatu
- Warnings and Dangers in Vanuatu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vanuatu
- 25 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Vanuatu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vanuatu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos