New Zealand Local Custom Tips by K.Knight
New Zealand Local Customs: 137 reviews and 118 photos
On arrival to a traditional fortified village or venue, nobody must enter until a formal welcome (POWHIRI) has been performed. When entering these sacred places it is customary for the host tribe to send out a challenge of peace (TE WERO.)
The warrior will go through some intimidatory gestures and display his skills with his spear (TAIAHA,) until he places a peace offering (TEKA) at the foot of one of the visiting chiefs. This Teka must be picked up while maintaing eye contact with the warrior.
PLEASE, out of respect for their culture, DO NOT laugh, smile or poke out your tongue.
More Reviews (46)
- See All Ski Coronet Peak 2.
- See All Ice Caving. Franz Joseph Glacier - 2.
- See All Hiking, bush walking, Tramping..it's all...
- See All Warm clothing!!!
- See All The best way to see New Zealand!
K.Knight's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lormont Hotels
- Norra Kvill National Park Hotels
- Isola Ortigia Hotels
- Bannur Hotels
- Sioux Falls
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 47 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1042 Reviews - 2303 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 593 Reviews - 1272 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 641 Reviews - 1706 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 480 Reviews - 1216 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1244 Reviews - 2614 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Paihia Hotels
- 118 Reviews - 263 Photos
- Kaikoura Hotels
- 206 Reviews - 681 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 200 Reviews - 520 Photos
- Dunedin Hotels
- 340 Reviews - 803 Photos
- Oamaru Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 101 Photos
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Matamata Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Rotorua- 42 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Queenstown- 30 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Auckland- 53 Reviews, 99 Photos
- Northland- 32 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Adventure Activities- 37 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Fiordland National Park- 23 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Canterbury- 35 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Bay of Islands- 22 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Christchurch- 19 Reviews, 44 Photos
- West Coast, South Island.- 21 Reviews, 38 Photos
See All New Zealand Things to Do