New Zealand Transportation Tips by K.Knight
New Zealand Transportation: 284 reviews and 272 photos
Economy class. Help!
Waiting for the interisland ferry I noticed they really try and pack 'em in!!! The line up for the Inter Island Ferry can be a long one with dozens of trucks waiting for the crossing. I especially noticed the amount of sheep that were peering over the top of the trucks.
I could recommend this as a cheap & easy way to see NZ for a group of 6 because....
All of your accomodation and transport hire costs are approx AUS$96.00 per day (AUS$32.00 per couple), You can buy all your own groceries and cook all your own meals, make a tea/coffee or cold drink any time, you can free camp anywhere you like at no cost, diesel fuel is only NZ59cents per litre and at the end of the day, after a big day of sightseeing, you do not have to drive back to your accomodation because you have it with you!
Type: Car/Motor Home
Wellington Cable car
A nice, inexpensive experience , that offered great views of the city at the top. At around $3.50 for the trip It is worth the time.
A cafe is situated at the top of the Cable car which also happens to be at the top of the botanical gardens. Why not take the tram to the top, have a cuppa and walk back DOWN the hill via the gardens?
The cable car runs every 10 minutes 7am until 10 pm weekdays and 9am until 10pm weekends. It is located in Cable Car Lane, just off Lambton Quay.
This photo was taken as the two ferries crossed in the Cook straight. we were travelling from Picton on the South Island to Wellington on the North Island.
The trip takes around 2.5 hours (weather and sea conditions permitting) and the facilities are excellent. Restaurants, childrens video game area etc are all on board.
I would advise that you book your ferry crossing with your travel agent before heading to NZ and change the ferry date if you have to once over there. This is because the bookings can be quite heavy and at times they will not sell you a ticket but they will change an existing one.
More Reviews (43)
- See All Ski Coronet Peak 2.
- See All Ice Caving. Franz Joseph Glacier - 2.
- See All Hiking, bush walking, Tramping..it's all...
- See All Warm clothing!!!
- Take it easy and enjoy yourself
K.Knight's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Valdes Island Hotels
- Amarinthos Hotels
- Debrecen Hotels
- Mitchell Hotels
- Mohonk Lake
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 47 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1035 Reviews - 2290 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 590 Reviews - 1255 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 630 Reviews - 1671 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 1224 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1239 Reviews - 2600 Photos
- Mangere Hotels
- 2 Reviews
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 522 Photos
- Waiheke Island Hotels
- 59 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Dunedin Hotels
- 338 Reviews - 786 Photos
- Hamilton Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 237 Photos
- Hanmer Springs Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 104 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Auckland- 51 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Northland- 32 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Bay of Islands- 22 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Wellington- 17 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Queenstown- 30 Reviews, 52 Photos
- West Coast, South Island.- 21 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Taupo- 17 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Adventure Activities- 37 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Fiordland National Park- 23 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Christchurch- 17 Reviews, 36 Photos
See All New Zealand Things to Do