"The Northern Territory...Natures Playground!" Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory by K.Knight
Northern Territory Travel Guide: 2,393 reviews and 8,004 photos
Perched at the top of Australia, and midway across this vast continent, lies the imposing frontier of the Northern Territory. I love this place and as well as traveling here for a holiday on six occasions, I also fly from Brisbane to "the territory" every 8 weeks for work.
The remoteness that hides some of the most remarkable natural formations, landscapes and wildlife in the vast tracts of land is incredible and draws Anne and I back time and time again.
Alice Springs, or "The Alice" as it is lovingly known by most Australians, is a fantastic place to rest before or after the long treck North or South. There is an amazing array of places to visit from here from natural gorges, to Kings Canyon, the Olgas and the imposing Ayres Rock.
Don't be fooled by the maps that often show the "Territory" on a single page, this place is huge!
Anne and I were in Adelaide (Soth Australia) a few years back and overheard a group of backpackers planning a day trip to Ayres Rock. I asked them how long they felt it would take for them to get to "The rock" and I was told around 5 hours!
A few distances to keep in mind......
Adelaide to Ayres Rock... 1609 km's
Alice Springs to Adelaide..1548 km,s
Alice Springs to Darwin...1489 km's
Alice Springs to Ayres Rock (Uluru).. 462 km's to the car park.
For over 30,000 years the Anangu and their ancestors have lived in the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, which contains Ayres Rock (Uluru) and The Olgas (Kata Tjuta.) This world heritage area is in remote Australia and is more than a day trip from Alice Springs. This remarkable place has a lot to offer and I feel that 3 days should be set aside for the return trip and spending enough time to get to known this land.
- Pros:The most amazing scenery and attractions.
- Cons:Vast distances between attractions.
- In a nutshell:A must see destination to experience the true Australia.
Kata Tjuta (otherwise known as the Olgas) are set within the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, which you need to pay to... more travel advice
The feral buffalo has been a major environmental disaster in the wetlands of the Top End. When the population was at it... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Northern Territory Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern Territory...Natures Playground!"
- "The Red Centre and north to Darwin"
- "Untouched Natural Beauty & Unique Mix of Cultures"
- "The Northern Territory"
- "NORTHERN TERRITORY - THE TOP END -"
- "The Outback: Unbelievable"
- "Northern Territory"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northern Territory
- Hotels in Northern Territory
- Transportation in Northern Territory
- Nightlife in Northern Territory
- Restaurants in Northern Territory
- Shopping in Northern Territory
- Warnings and Dangers in Northern Territory
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northern Territory
- 48 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Northern Territory?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northern Territory
- Posted in Travel Athens Forum "Re: 2 days in Athens"
- updated a Northern Territory Travel Page "The Northern Territory...Natures Playground!"
- Commented on one of nipper1's Northern Territory travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit Kata Tjuta (otherwise known as the Olgas.) in Northern Territory Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit Kata Tjuta (otherwise known as the Olgas.)"
Photos in Northern TerritorySee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos