"South Australia - the driest state in Australia." Top 5 Page for this destination State of South Australia by K.Knight
State of South Australia Travel Guide: 3,160 reviews and 8,028 photos
South Australia is the driest state in Australia. This becomes quite apparent once you leave behind the parklands of Adelaide and head into the interior. The Outback is as harsh as it is beautiful. Much of it consists of stony desert, saltpans, and sand hills, roamed by kangaroos and wild goats. After spring rains, though, the area can burst alive with wildflowers.
It was always difficult to travel through these parts, and even today only four main routes traverse it. One of them, the Birdsville Track, is famed in Outback history as the trail along which stockmen once drove their herds of cattle south from Queensland. Another, the Strzelecki Track, runs through remote sand-dune country to Innaminka and on to Coopers Creek. Both of these tracks cut through the "dingo fence" -- a 5,600km-long (3,472-mile) barrier designed to keep dingoes out of the pastoral lands to the south.
If you follow the Stuart Highway or the Oodnadatta Track, you'll pass the mining towns of Coober Pedy, Andamooka, and Mintabie, where people from all over the world have been turned loose in the maddening search for opal. Out here, too, are national parks, such as the daunting Simpson Desert Conservation Park, with its seemingly endless blood-red sand dunes and spinifex plains; and Lake Eyre National Park, with its dried-up saltpan that, during rare floods, is a temporary home to thousands of water birds.
- Pros:Contrasting landscapes that lend themselves to adventure.
- Cons:The driest state in Australia!
- In a nutshell:Explore this state, you will love it.
The Cape du Couedic Lighthouse was constructed between 1906-1909 and was the fifteenth to be built on South Australia's... more travel advice
The unusually shaped Cape Borda Lighthouse was eastablished in 1858. It stands on a cliff and is an impressive 155... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
State of South Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South Australia - the driest state in Australia."
- "Diverse Beauty to be found in SA"
- "Festival State"
- "S.A. - THE FORGOTTEN STATE!"
- "The great outdoors"
- "S.A. Great ... a stolen catchphrase!"
- "South Australia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of South Australia
- Hotels in State of South Australia
- Transportation in State of South Australia
- Nightlife in State of South Australia
- Restaurants in State of South Australia
- Shopping in State of South Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in State of South Australia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of South Australia
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to State of South Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of South Australia
- Posted in Travel Athens Forum "Re: 2 days in Athens"
- Wrote a Review Kangaroo Island - The Cape du Couedic Lighthouse. in State of South Australia Things to Do
- updated a State of South Australia Travel Page "South Australia - the driest state in Australia."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kangaroo Island - Emu Bay."
Photos in State of South AustraliaSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos