"Western Australia - Australias largest state." Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia by K.Knight
State of Western Australia Travel Guide: 7,567 reviews and 18,255 photos
In August 2001, Anne and I had booked to take a trip to Egypt. We had used frequent flyer miles that we had accumulated from Ansett Australia. As you can imagine September 11 shook the foundations of every decent civilisation on the face of the earth and we found ourselves pondering our trip.
We decided that we would still travel to Egypt and around a week later, Ansett Australia collapsed and we lost all our frequent flyer points.
Singapore Airlines then contacted us and advised that Ansett had not paid for our airline tickets and we were in effect, grounded.
The following month, October, Swiss air placed a great deal on the internet to fly to Europe with a stopover in Cairo! Bargin! So we booked it and paid on the net with our Visa card. You guessed it, Swiss Air fell over and the Swiss Government bailed it out but we were grounded again. We got a refund from Visa as the funds had not been transferred to Swiss air and we were back to the drawing board!
What to do....Lets drive from Queensland to Western Australia, the only state in Australia we had not been to!
Western Australia is the nation’s largest state and covers an area of 2,529,000 kilometers. This area represents one third of the total area of Australia and in geographical terms, Western Australia is the country’s most remote state and has some of the oldest landscapes on the planet.
Anne and I spent one week traveling to and from Western Australia and five weeks touring the state at a comfortable pace. We did not spend much time in Perth or Fremantle because we wanted to experience everything else the state had to offer outside of the big cities.
Our trip saw us enter the state from South Australia at Border Village and drive across the Nullarbor Plain to Norseman. From there we headed south to Esperance before traversing the south of the state through Albany, Bunberry, Rottnest Island and Fremantle to Perth. From here we headed north through Cervantes, Geralton and Kalbarri to Denham, home of the famous Monkey Mia Dolphins.
Heading north again saw us travel through Carnarvon, Coral Bay to Exmouth where we went Snorkeling with the Whale sharks of Ningaloo Reef.
Turning north east we traversed through Tom Price and the Karijini National Park, Port Headland, Broome, Derby, The Gibb River road, Fitzroy crossing and Halls Creek before ending this In adventure at Kununurra and the Northern Territory border.
- Pros:Reefs, Deserts, Forests, Islands, wildlife & Open Spaces.
- Cons:Vast distances between attractions. Be prepared.
- In a nutshell:Some of the most remote mythic lands on earth.
We did not stay in "fancy" hotels or motels. Most places that you intend visiting have caravan parks (Van/trailer parks)... more travel advice
The Russian Jack Memorial is a tribute to a miner who pushed his sick mate in a wheelbarrow to Wyndham for medical... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
State of Western Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Western Australia"
- "Western Australia - Australias largest state."
- "Look into my big blue skies and long, long beaches"
- "The Golden West"
- "Western Australia"
- "Western Australia"
- "Western Australia- I LUUURRRVE IT!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Western Australia
- Hotels in State of Western Australia
- Transportation in State of Western Australia
- Nightlife in State of Western Australia
- Restaurants in State of Western Australia
- Shopping in State of Western Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Western Australia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Western Australia
- 70 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to State of Western Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Western Australia
- Posted in Travel Athens Forum "Re: 2 days in Athens"
- Commented on one of diggingdeep's State of Western Australia travel pages
- Wrote a Review On Site Cabins in State of Western Australia Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "On Site Cabins"
- updated a State of Western Australia Travel Page "Western Australia - Australias largest state."
Photos in State of Western AustraliaSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos