"Ketchikan - Show me the bears!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan by K.Knight
Ketchikan Travel Guide: 222 reviews and 537 photos
When Anne and I planned our trip to Ketckikan, Alaska, we knew it as Alaskas first city as well as the Salmon Capital of the world. Neither of these things interested us though!
We wanted to see the wilderness and everything it had to offer, including BEARS!
The best way to do this, we thought, was to take a scenic flight into the wilderness and combine the sightseeing, wilderness and bears in a one day adventure!
Anne and I visited Ketchikan in August 2010 while sailing on the beautiful Sea Princess. It was late in the season" and the weather was nothing short of spectacular!
The town is very compact and is "mostly" flat and easy to walk. If you are into shopping, like most cruise ship ports in Alaska, Ketchikan is filled with jewellery and souvenier shops that are more than happy to remove your money from your wallets!
Found on the back of the salmon and commercial fishing industry, Ketchikan was established in 1900.
As the Creek that winds its way through Ketchikan curves it's way past the modern city it suddenly leads you to a "blast from the past,"......Creek Street
Creek Street is emblazoned on a sign that proudly stands tall over the beginning of a wooden bridge that leads across the creek. You are then presented with a charming street of restaurants, cafes, art galleries, museums and retail shops that sit atop a lovely wooden boardwalk.
USA Today named the Creek Street Boardwalk one of the country’s top ten as it is home to the prohibition era shop buildings and bordellos.
- Pros:Magnificent scenery. Stunning town.
- Cons:Too many jewellery shops!
Just about everywhere along the waterfront you will find kiosks, cafes and restaurants selling all sorts of local... more travel advice
I must confess, I love this stuff. Anne and I had spent the morning on a float plane and walking around Prince of Wales... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Ketchikan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "Ketchikan, Alaska"
- "Alaska's Gateway"
- "Not a Flying Visit"
- "Ketchikan - Show me the bears!"
- "Duck Duck Goose"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ketchikan
- Hotels in Ketchikan
- Transportation in Ketchikan
- Nightlife in Ketchikan
- Restaurants in Ketchikan
- Shopping in Ketchikan
- Warnings and Dangers in Ketchikan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ketchikan
- 16 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Ketchikan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ketchikan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos