"Juneau - Home of the Mendenhall Glacier." Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau by K.Knight
Juneau Travel Guide: 365 reviews and 886 photos
Anne and I visited Juneau in mid August 2010 as part of a cruise onboard the Sea Princess. August was a beautiful time f year to visit as the skies were a beautiful cloudless blue, the weather was fine and warm and there was no fog.
As the weather was so sensational we decided to visit the Mendenhall Glacier, a truly spectacular place to visit.
Located a short 20 minutes from the centre of town, Mendehall Glacier has a terrific vista, flat walking trails, waterfalls, "icebergs" and wildlife, including bears and salmon.
While at Mendenhall glacier we decided to go for a walk on an elevated platform that leads from the western side of the carpark. While on this walk we noticed a small group of people assembling with their cameras at the ready. On further inspection we saw a mother bear with 2 cubs, all enjoying the spoils of their latest fishing trip!
We stood and watched these bears eating and playing for approx 25 minutes before it was time to return to Juneau and attend the Salmon bake!
The Gold Creek Salmon bake advertises itself as "A feast as grand as Alaska itself." And I agree.
The tour cost US$40 in August 2010 and included a round trip bus ride from our cruise ship, an all you can eat buffet of Salmon, chicken, salads and blueberry cake. and musical entertainment.
The salmon bake is located approx 15 minutes from downtown Juneau and is built alongside a creek that had salmon spawning.
If you like salmon, you will love this place!
- Pros:A beautiful town nestled in a beautiful part of the world.
- Cons:Too many jewellery shops!
Well, I must admit, Anne and I really enjoyed Juneau! The Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Bake Tour was an outstanding... more travel advice
I don’t know about you, but my idea of visiting Alaska was not to spend my time shopping in jewelers’ stores! As a... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Juneau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Independent Traveler's Guide to Juneau"
- "Juneau in Summer"
- "Juneau - Home of the Mendenhall Glacier."
- "Alaska Cruise - Juneau First Port Of Call"
- "Big State, Little Capitol"
- "Cruise Stop: Juneau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Juneau
- Hotels in Juneau
- Transportation in Juneau
- Nightlife in Juneau
- Restaurants in Juneau
- Shopping in Juneau
- Warnings and Dangers in Juneau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Juneau
- 24 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Juneau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Juneau
Photos in JuneauSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos