"Amalfi - spectacular coastline!" Top 5 Page for this destination Amalfi by K.Knight
Amalfi Travel Guide: 273 reviews and 805 photos
The Amalfi Coast lies just north of Salerno. It is one of the most delightful destinations in Campania.
This spectacular coastline which embraces the charming resort towns of Positano, Praiano, Amalfi and Ravello invites us to imagine ourselves back in the sunny carefree days of the sixties - for here the beauty and romance of those times have not changed.
The people here have a strong affinity with their beloved coast and they have perfected the art of living: they are part of the elements surrounding them. Life here still revolves around the sun and sea, the enjoyment of simple pleasures. Driving along the coast, past the green terraces of grapevines, the groves of lemon and olive trees which sweep down the slopes to the clear blue water below, you are presented with a panorama of breathtaking beauty.
The soft greens of hills and valleys, the azure sea and sky, and the warm, faded yellow-pink buildings all meld together in this palette of seductive color. In small villages the air is heavy with the scent of roses and carnations. As you walk along the narrow, paved streets, the pink flowers of the oleanders hang over crumbling stone walls - and the effect is one of mellow beauty.
When we arrived on the Amalfi coast the sky was blue and the weather was very warm, considerining it was October! I was in posession of a severe flu (or it was in posession of me!) and I opted out of a swim. Anne (far right) and our travelling friend Brian and Amanda enjoyed the swim and advised me that the water was a lot mor salty than the beaches that we are used to in Australia and therefore you float "higher" in the water. I became the official photographer and bag minder!
The Duomo is situated in the center of the town and was built during the 6th Century to honour St. Andrew the Apostle, whose remains are in a crypt within. Take particular note of the Duomo's Oriental style. The bronze doors were the first in Italy, made from bronze brought back from Constantinople by a local nobleman, Pantaleone di Mauro Comite. The Cathedral is a meeting place for locals and tourists alike and the entire towm seems to extend from this cathedral and plaza.
- Pros:spectacular coastline.
- Cons:Narrow (sometimes dangerous) roads add hours to your trip.
- In a nutshell:Paradise???????........Close enough!
Probably nothing unusual for a European tourist, but something new to an Australian, chilli seems to be a common thread... more travel advice
On a tragic day in AD79, Mount Vesuvius erupted and buried the town of Pompeii in 6 metres (20 feet) of pumice and ash.... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Amalfi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amalfi - spectacular coastline!"
- "The Little Coastal Town that Made Good!"
- "Amalfi! To see the beauty of the Amalfi Coast!"
- "The Beautiful Amalfi Coast"
- "Amalfi - pearl of the coast"
- "Beautiful Town of Amalfi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amalfi
- Hotels in Amalfi
- Transportation in Amalfi
- Restaurants in Amalfi
- Shopping in Amalfi
- Warnings and Dangers in Amalfi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amalfi
- 14 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Amalfi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amalfi
Photos in AmalfiSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos