"Visit Rhodes Matopos National Park." Bulawayo by K.Knight

Bulawayo Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 28 photos

Rhodes Matopos National Park

My most vivid memory of Bulawayo is the fact that this was the first of several days that I was struck down by a stomach virus! After a couple of days I felt like this baboon...only my backside was brighter!

Although Bulawayo is a remarkably large city, Anne and I found that it was really only good for purchasing a few supplies for the continuation of our trip through Zimbabwe and also a good opportunity to check our emails.
However, some 40 km's south of Bulawayo lies the Rhodes Matopos National Park. The park is divided into two sections - a general recreation area where horseback riding trails are popular, and a game reserve. Matobo has the highest concentrations of Black and White Rhinos remaining in Africa. Leopard are plentiful but are seldom sighted. Other wildlife includes Giraffe, Zebra, Baboons, Civet, Genet, Black-backed and Side-striped Jackal, Wildebeest and Caracal.

The Matopos star attraction....White Rhino!

After what could have been our last meal..Our guides decided that it was time that we placed our lives into their hands and walk out to see these rhino at close quarters. We were assured that if we remained up wind, the rhino would not know that we were there and they would continue digging up the salt that they were licking. I am surprised that I held my camera still enough to get this shot as we were only a few meters away from this young male and his mother.....the male was constantly circling his mum and mum seemed to be constantly looking our way!

Monkey business.

Although the main reason for visiting the Motopos National park is to see the endangered white rhino, the drive through the park gives you the great experience of viewing a lot of the wildlife that this area has to offer. I did not mind if we did not come across any rhino until later in the day as the drive was pleasent and the wildlife was easy to spot.

• Pros:Good place to stock up with supplies.
  • Cons:Not much for the tourists.
  • In a nutshell:Head for Motopos National Park and then Gweru.
  • Last visit to Bulawayo: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 14, 2004

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 6:16 AM

Maybe Zimbabwe will be open to us Poms when Mugabe is out of the picture? Looks like an interesting country to visit.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2005 at 8:43 PM

so much potential for travellers and tourists, bar the crazy whims of a power monger ;-)))

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2005 at 5:07 PM

A great page on your recent visit to this amazing country! Yes, too bad that those curio sellers are paying the price for their own government's recent policies that have led to economic disaster.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2004 at 9:05 AM

This looks like a fantastic place! Great page! Greetings from Maria.

• Xemx's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2004 at 12:24 PM

Such a shame you got sick Kev. Thanks for the info. I like the giraffes...they look nice and quiet :-)

K.Knight

“Don't die wondering”

Badges & Stats in Bulawayo

Have you been to Bulawayo?