"Visit Rhodes Matopos National Park." Bulawayo by K.Knight
Bulawayo Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 29 photos
My most vivid memory of Bulawayo is the fact that this was the first of several days that I was struck down by a stomach virus! After a couple of days I felt like this baboon...only my backside was brighter!
Although Bulawayo is a remarkably large city, Anne and I found that it was really only good for purchasing a few supplies for the continuation of our trip through Zimbabwe and also a good opportunity to check our emails.
However, some 40 km's south of Bulawayo lies the Rhodes Matopos National Park. The park is divided into two sections - a general recreation area where horseback riding trails are popular, and a game reserve. Matobo has the highest concentrations of Black and White Rhinos remaining in Africa. Leopard are plentiful but are seldom sighted. Other wildlife includes Giraffe, Zebra, Baboons, Civet, Genet, Black-backed and Side-striped Jackal, Wildebeest and Caracal.
After what could have been our last meal..Our guides decided that it was time that we placed our lives into their hands and walk out to see these rhino at close quarters. We were assured that if we remained up wind, the rhino would not know that we were there and they would continue digging up the salt that they were licking. I am surprised that I held my camera still enough to get this shot as we were only a few meters away from this young male and his mother.....the male was constantly circling his mum and mum seemed to be constantly looking our way!
Although the main reason for visiting the Motopos National park is to see the endangered white rhino, the drive through the park gives you the great experience of viewing a lot of the wildlife that this area has to offer. I did not mind if we did not come across any rhino until later in the day as the drive was pleasent and the wildlife was easy to spot.
- Pros:Good place to stock up with supplies.
- Cons:Not much for the tourists.
- In a nutshell:Head for Motopos National Park and then Gweru.
The Matobo hills is one of the richest areas in the world for prehistoric rock art and this form of recorded history is... more travel advice
The striking pattern of stripes in savannah zebras is different in each animal. Therefore the members of a family can... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Bulawayo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Rhodes Matopos National Park."
- "The gateway to the Rhodes Matopos National Park"
- "Gateway to Matobo National Park"
- "The streets of Bulawayo"
- "Matopos - Bulawayo"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bulawayo
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Bulawayo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bulawayo
Photos in BulawayoSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos