"Victoria Falls - The smoke that thunders." Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria Falls by K.Knight
Victoria Falls Travel Guide: 443 reviews and 1,077 photos
Yes, you guessed it...Sheer madness at the top of a sheer drop! A local guide can be found to take you from Zimbabwe into Zambia and a walk of around 40 minutes across the escarpment will lead you to a pool that sits right at the top of a 107 metre fall!
The cost for the border is US$10.00 for a day pass, US$25.00 for the guide and around US$10.00 for a new pair of pants!!!!!
This is the walk that takes approx. 40 minutes to get to the swimming hole at the top of the falls. The walk is quite safe if you stay away from the edge and the views are spectacular to say the least!
The sheer power and volume of water is not appreciated until you can walk along the edge of the escarpment and feel the spray stinging your face. Then, and only then, do you realise why these magnificent falls are one of the seven natural wonders of the world!
Although Anne and I did not get to see Vic Falls in all of its awesome power, I can say that it was mighty and impressive all the same. The lack of rain uostream had kept the roar and thunder under control but swimming in its waters, walking its "rim" and seeing it from the air made for a complete experience!
When David Livingstone first documented discovering the Victoria Falls he marvelled and quoted; "A sight so wonderful that angels must have gazed down on it in flight", and so it was comercialised and the Flight of the Angels was born!
At US$85.00, you fly for approx 15 minutes over the falls and the Zambezi before landing back at the air field.
- Pros:The Victoria Falls offer an inescapable closeness to the naural elements.
- Cons:The terrifying abyss that separates Zimbabwe from Zambia
- In a nutshell:So vast are the Falls and their setting that it is difficult to grasp their true grandeur
One thing is for sure, Africa is full of monkeys and the area around Vic Falls is no exception. Monkeys and baboons are... more travel advice
Although Anne and I did not get to see Vic Falls in all of its awesome power, I can say that it was mighty and... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Victoria Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""The Smoke that Thunders""
- "Victoria Falls, the smoke that thunders"
- "VICTORIA FALLS, ZIMBABWE"
- "Victoria Falls - The smoke that thunders."
- "THE BEAUTIFUL SIDE OF THE FALLS"
- "Twenty-six hours at Victoria Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Victoria Falls
- Hotels in Victoria Falls
- Transportation in Victoria Falls
- Nightlife in Victoria Falls
- Restaurants in Victoria Falls
- Shopping in Victoria Falls
- Warnings and Dangers in Victoria Falls
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Victoria Falls
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Victoria Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Victoria Falls
- Posted in Travel Athens Forum "Re: 2 days in Athens"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Victoria Falls - The smoke that thunders."
- created a Victoria Falls Travel Page "Victoria Falls - The smoke that thunders."
- Wrote a Review Check out the local monkeys. in Victoria Falls Things to Do
- Commented on one of Zanzibargirl's Victoria Falls travel pages
Photos in Victoria FallsSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos