"Another amazing place on the face of the Planet!" Serengeti National Park by K.Knight
Serengeti National Park Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 497 photos
Relaxing in a six seat four wheel drive, we seemed to float above the tall grass. It seemed as though I could see forever as the view to the Horizon was simply broken by the odd tree or the occasional mound of dirt.
The afternoon sun was high in the sky and the only breeze to cool us came through the open window as we cruised along at sixty kilometers per hour. It was then that a strange dust cloud caught my eye and I asked our guide if there was a storm on the build.
Our Tanzanian friend, and guide, gave me a wry smile and said, “It is a wildebeest storm, animals, you know…running for food…all the time running, crazy.”
The adrenalin kicked in and a lifetime of documentaries, Animal Planet, National Geographic and Discovery Channel came to us in real life!
Nothing can prepare you for the experience of thousands of strangely bearded, four legged animals running and grunting at the same time. The noise deafening, the aromas are exhilarating, the dust is breathtaking and the scenery is stunning.
The Serengeti is spectacular.
What seemed fifteen minutes with the magnificent wildebeest was, in fact, two and a half hours! Our Tanzanian guide was now asking if we could leave and make our way to our destination for the night as the sun was beginning to get in the sky.
Reluctantly we left the spectacle of the Wildebeest and we continued on our way. It was about forty minutes later, when we were approx. thirty minutes from our accommodation, cold beer, hot food and a warm shower that I heard a heavy sign from, you guessed it, our friendly Tanzanian!
I looked into the haze in front of us and another “dust storm” was rapidly coming into view. “More crazy Wildebeest,” I asked. “No” was the retort, “Zebra.”
Anne and I were astonished to see literally tens of thousands of Zebra, on both sides of the road and as far as the eye could see in front of us! I could almost hear our guides’ thoughts…”here we go, another two hours!!!!!”
We stayed with the Zebra for only thirty minutes before we decided it was time for us to migrate, and head for the restaurant!
Literally giving way to the thousands of “zebra crossing” constantly in front of our vehicle made our trip a lot slower but the only person that seemed to mind was our driver! I guess he had simply seen it all before.
You guessed it, after another hot and humid ten minutes of dusty roads we came across a pride of lion sitting and waiting. I guess they could see the “dust storm” approaching. They did not have to ask silly questions. They did not let out a huge sigh. They did not want to keep moving and they did not want a cold beer and a warm shower. They did however want a hot meal….of Zebra and Wildebeest!
- Pros:An endless plain with adventure all the way!
- Cons:None! Just get out an see this place.
- In a nutshell:An amazing adventure and an amazing place!
As is the case with the buffalo, you do not have to look very far in Africa to see an elephant or thousand! The... more travel advice
We stayed with the Zebra for only thirty minutes before we decided it was time for us to migrate, and head for the... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Serengeti National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Serengeti"
- "Serengeti: I thought it only existed on TV"
- "The Serengeti - Endless Plains"
- "A childhood dream"
- "Serengeti - wide land"
- "From Arusha to the Serengeti"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serengeti National Park
- Hotels in Serengeti National Park
- Transportation in Serengeti National Park
- Nightlife in Serengeti National Park
- Restaurants in Serengeti National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Serengeti National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Serengeti National Park
- 10 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Serengeti National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serengeti National Park
- Posted in Travel Athens Forum "Re: 2 days in Athens"
- Wrote a Review Safari - Elephant in Serengeti National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Safari - Elephant"
- updated a Serengeti National Park Travel Page "Another amazing place on the face of the Planet!"
- Commented on one of laughingsun69's Serengeti National Park travel pages
Photos in Serengeti National ParkSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Latest Serengeti National Park hotel reviews
- Serengeti Serena Safari Lodge
- 228 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013