"Alexandria - City by the sea." Alexandria by K.Knight
Alexandria Travel Guide: 673 reviews and 1,770 photos
The spectacular Port is home to Fort Kaitbay. Built on an island, this ?castle? or fort was badly damaged by Napoleon as he attempted to ?win the hearts and minds? of the Egyptians!
The fort is Alexandrias number one tourist attraction and is the tourist icon of the entire city. Sitting at the edge of the Mediterranean Sea, you are afforded some truly spectacular views up and down the coast as well as looking across the harbor toward the city.
The entry fee is 2 Egyptian pounds for locals and 12 Egyptian pounds for foreigners!
President Hosni Mubarak inaugurated the Alexandria National Museum in 2003.
Located in a beautiful ex palace, (Al-Saad Bassili Pasha Palace) which later became the US Embassy before being sold to the Egyptian government, this is quite a small museum?.but it is air-conditioned!
The artifacts and displays here represent the ages of the Time of the Pharaohs through to the Roman and Coptic periods.
Sue and Danny joined Anne and I for a relaxing seafood lunch and a few beers.
We headed to the Cornice and went upstairs to where a group of seafood restaurants were competing for business. We decided to sit at a table beside an open window that had a beautiful breeze cooling us as we ate and drank.
The view of the beaches was stunning, made all the better for the excellent view of the Qaitbey Fort that is located on the Island opposite.
When you sit down you are given a plate of hot bread with a number of dips to try. We then ordered some cold beer for Danny and I and a glass of wine for the ladies.
There is a large area where all of the seafood is fresh and laying on a bed of ice for you to choose. Anne and I chose a fish, (You have to have the whole thing,) and we asked for some calamari and crab.
After the items are weighed you pay for the meal and the chef asks you how you would like the food cooked. I asked for ?Traditionally, however Egyptians would eat it.? The food came out bar-b-qued with sauces and spices?and it was magnificent!
In the 2nd century AD the Roman Catacombs were dug beneath the surface of Alexandria. Approx. 1750 years later a... more travel advice
At the Alexandria National Museum there is an excellent carving of the head of Hatshepsut, great female pharaoh of... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Alexandria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home town"
- "My Alexandria Homepage"
- "Alexandria - Another Egypt"
- "Alexandria - a lovely city by the sea"
- "ANA BAHEB ISKANDARIYAH - I LOVE ALEXANDRIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alexandria
- Hotels in Alexandria
- Transportation in Alexandria
- Nightlife in Alexandria
- Restaurants in Alexandria
- Shopping in Alexandria
- Warnings and Dangers in Alexandria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alexandria
- 9 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Alexandria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alexandria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos