"Gateway to The Monastery of St Catherine." Top 5 Page for this destination Nuweiba` by K.Knight
Nuweiba` Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 256 photos
Some may find the Charnel house gruesome as it is the final resting place for thousands of Monks skulls from days gone by. Housed behind a simple wire fence, it appears that a skeleton of a dark robed monk is guarding the bones of his ancestors! I am not sure if he is keeping the Monks in, or the visitors out.
There are also a number of niches carved into the side walls that appear to house complete skeletons.
Within the walls of the Monastery of St Catherine there is a bush that is said to be growing from a single clipping of “The Burning Bush” that instructed Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt and into the Promised Land.
Anne and I can be seen here standing under this evergreen bush in the “robes” that were given to us at the entrance to the chapel. The robes are used to cover your knees and, when they are handed back, you are asked to make a donation for their use. This is a scam because the “robes” are given as a free service to visitors and it is simply the door attendant that is looking for some “Baksheesh” to supplement their wages. Do not pay!
Approx 10 minutes from the monastery is a very comfortable, and well priced, motel.
Nestled at the foot of Mount Sinai, in a small valley, this is the perfect place to base yourself for a visit to the monastery. The cool waters of the pool is welcoming enough but the well stocked bar will provide you with a cold beer to drink while you wash away the desert dust!
The restaurant is basic but the food is fresh and plentiful. A buffet dinner can be purchased for approx US$8 and is great value.
Approx 10 minutes from the monastery is a very comfortable, and well priced, motel. Nestled at the foot of Mount... more travel advice
Within the walls of the Monastery of St Catherine there is a bush that is said to be growing from a single clipping of... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Nuweiba` Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to The Monastery of St Catherine."
- "Sinai, Egypt"
- " Little Paradise.... "
- "The Colored Canyon and Nuweiba"
- "Nuweiba - Easter 2005"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nuweiba`
- Hotels in Nuweiba`
- Transportation in Nuweiba`
- Nightlife in Nuweiba`
- Restaurants in Nuweiba`
- Shopping in Nuweiba`
- Warnings and Dangers in Nuweiba`
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nuweiba`
- 10 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Nuweiba`?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nuweiba`
Photos in Nuweiba`See All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Latest Nuweiba` hotel reviews
- Nakhil Inn & Nakhil Dream
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Swisscare Nuweiba Resort Hotel
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Tropicana Nuweiba Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 23, 2006
- Hilton Nuweiba Coral Resort
- 472 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Domina Elaria Nuweiba Hotel and Resort
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Ciao Nuweiba Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2012