"MAUN.....Gateway to the Okavango Delta." Top 5 Page for this destination Maun by K.Knight

Maun Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 87 photos

Kumuka Safari.

Anne and I set off with nine other passengers from Johannesburg on Sunday 3rd October, 2004. Our aim was to cross the Kalahari desert and, after 2 days, arrive in Maun for the beginning of our 2 night/3 day camping safari in the Okavango Delta. What was to follow would be the experience of a lifetime that would allow us to camp in the middle of nowhere with wild animals and experience the thrill of nature.
Nowhere else in Africa is there another Okavango. It is a huge 15,000 sq km delta of crystalline water nestling in the wilderness. It is fed by the Okavango River, which rises in the Angolan highlands and surprisingly does not flow directly into the Atlantic but inland, southeast into Botswana. There it forms swamps, reed beds, streams, flood plains, islands and long stretches of cool, clear water.

Beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

We were up early every morning to the sounds of the wild, which allowed us to experience the beautiful sunrise before we headed off on a daily walking safari to see what the night would give up.

Vast tracks of open plains.

Within this wilderness of contrasts, many of the areas in the delta are surprisingly dry. They sustain permanent populations of prolific game. An African safari evokes mystery, wonder and above all else, adventure! Amazing wildlife and beautiful scenery was always on offer on every walking safari.

• Pros:You can get a taste of the delta experience from Maun
  • Cons:This small town on the edge of the Okavango Delta holds little of interest.
  • In a nutshell:Visit the Okavango Delta from here!
  • Last visit to Maun: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 6, 2004

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2007 at 7:18 AM

just added more on Tsodilo in my Botswana pages - the Python and the Shaman Cave ;-)))

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 2:04 AM

Great pages,tips and photo's. I'm not sure I could get my wife to travel in a mokoro though!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2006 at 5:31 AM

Excellent page - what a great trip this must have been! Thanks for sharing!

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2005 at 5:35 AM

Wonderful website! Greetings from Poland!

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 11:40 PM

Excellent page! My husband and I are planning to do an overland trip to Botswana, Namibia and South Africa this September and these tips and pictures are incredible. Thanks...

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2005 at 4:19 PM

fantastic page, I can't wait to do another safari!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2004 at 5:55 PM

Great page, Kev. As for "who owns the plain", I remember being warned about "lions being in the area" near Etosha. They wanted to discourage afternoon hikes. : )

• Gentleman75's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2004 at 5:36 AM

Your pages about Your african trip are so interesting! Wonderful photos!

• Nov 19, 2004 at 3:57 AM

G'day mate, great photo's Kev..! Again your enjoying life more than i do, but i had my part when i visited you 2 yrs ago, already!! Say hi to Anne, from a dutch friend....

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2004 at 7:54 PM

What wonderful experiences and you relate them with a bit of humor. I look forward to reading more. Did she really have to eat the sandwhich?

K.Knight