"MAUN.....Gateway to the Okavango Delta." Top 5 Page for this destination Maun by K.Knight
Maun Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 87 photos
Anne and I set off with nine other passengers from Johannesburg on Sunday 3rd October, 2004. Our aim was to cross the Kalahari desert and, after 2 days, arrive in Maun for the beginning of our 2 night/3 day camping safari in the Okavango Delta. What was to follow would be the experience of a lifetime that would allow us to camp in the middle of nowhere with wild animals and experience the thrill of nature.
Nowhere else in Africa is there another Okavango. It is a huge 15,000 sq km delta of crystalline water nestling in the wilderness. It is fed by the Okavango River, which rises in the Angolan highlands and surprisingly does not flow directly into the Atlantic but inland, southeast into Botswana. There it forms swamps, reed beds, streams, flood plains, islands and long stretches of cool, clear water.
We were up early every morning to the sounds of the wild, which allowed us to experience the beautiful sunrise before we headed off on a daily walking safari to see what the night would give up.
Within this wilderness of contrasts, many of the areas in the delta are surprisingly dry. They sustain permanent populations of prolific game. An African safari evokes mystery, wonder and above all else, adventure! Amazing wildlife and beautiful scenery was always on offer on every walking safari.
- Pros:You can get a taste of the delta experience from Maun
- Cons:This small town on the edge of the Okavango Delta holds little of interest.
- In a nutshell:Visit the Okavango Delta from here!
Positioned on prime real estate in the main street of Maun, you will come across the Maun chicken shop. The sign... more travel advice
The days are long and the heat is always present! The only way to cool down is to either have a cold beer or go for a... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Maun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MAUN.....Gateway to the Okavango Delta."
- "The Swamps at last!"
- "Maun "place of short reeds""
- "Okavango Delta"
- "ON MY WAY TO MAUN"
- "Moremi Wildlife Reserve Rocks!"
- "Gateway to the Okavango Delta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maun
- Hotels in Maun
- Transportation in Maun
- Nightlife in Maun
- Restaurants in Maun
- Shopping in Maun
- Warnings and Dangers in Maun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maun
- 33 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Maun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maun
Photos in MaunSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos