"Noumea - "Paris of the Pacific"." Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa by K.Knight
Nouméa Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 147 photos
The islands of New Caledonia are beautiful and diverse. They exist in a beautiful tropical climate and are sheltered by a barrier reef swarming with marine life. There are some beautiful lagoons, coral inlets and jagged bays to be discovered. The locals here are extremely friendly and the lifestyle wonderfully relaxing.
Nouméa is the capital and only city on the main island of New Caledonia, a French territory in the southwest Pacific. The city lies on a peninsula at the island’s southern tip, sandwiched between low hills and a protected deepwater harbour. Founded in 1854 as Nouméa, Nouméa remains dominated by French language and culture. The local economy is based on nickel smelting and tourism.
Nouméa is often referred to as the "Paris of the Pacific" because it possesses a cosmopolitan atmosphere, fine French restaurants, and chic boutiques. Tourists come here to visit the city's many beaches, and to windsurf and sail. Between the two main tourism areas of the town, Ansa Vata Beach and Baie des Citron , a cigar-shaped peninsula juts out into the South Pacific at Nouméa.
Every day when the cruise ships are docked at the cruise terminal, local villagers come to the waterfront (in front of the ship) and perform traditional dances. This proves a master stroke by them as the constant drum beat and chanting draws the crowds to watch. While this is happening the ladies set up stalls and begin to sell drinks and local wares. This is a great experience and will entertain you while disembarking.
- Pros:A nice place to vist...A great place to leave.
- Cons:Very, Very Expensive!
Noumea is a garden town and has may green or paved areas with restaurants and childrens play areas. "Le Place Des... more travel advice
Apart from the obvious, swimming, sunbathing and relaxing, the Isle of Pines would have to be one of the most... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Nouméa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Noumea: The Paris of the South Pacific"
- "Noumea - "Paris of the Pacific"."
- "Noumea, la joie de vivre"
- "New Caledonia: Classic French with an Exotic Twist"
- "A Taste of France in the South Pacific"
- "A little slice of France in the South Pacific!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nouméa
- Hotels in Nouméa
- Transportation in Nouméa
- Nightlife in Nouméa
- Restaurants in Nouméa
- Shopping in Nouméa
- Warnings and Dangers in Nouméa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nouméa
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Nouméa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nouméa
Photos in NouméaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos