"The Isle of Pines - A Jewel of the South Pacific." Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins by K.Knight

Île des Pins Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 85 photos

On September 1st 2005, (Anne and my 15th wedding anniversary,) Anne and I set off with Sue (Annes' twin sister) and Danny (our brother-in-law,) to celebrate the girls birthday! We had planned to visit the Isle of Pines on our voyage for a day but little did we know of the events that would soon unfold. After anchoring in this beautiful part of the world and enjoying a day on shore, the ship dragged its anchor and was thrown up on this island, where we were stuck for over 30 hours! (CHECK OUT THE PIC"S IN MY TRAVELOGUE!) On a good note....we got to stay here for another day and we can now say that we were "ship wrecked" in the South Pacific! "Happy birthday girls!"

I read that Captain James Cook was the first to sight the Islands back in September 1774. I wonder if the people living on the Islands at the time had seen them before he got there? But, history records that Captain Cook gave the name to the Island because of the 60 foot towering pine trees that dominate the skyline.

Apart from the obvious, swimming, sunbathing and relaxing, Isle of Pines would have to be one of the spectacular and picturesque areas that the South Pacific has to offer.

The Rock, Kanumera Bay, is a sacred area and ideal for snorkelling in the crystal clear waters. The sand is very white and extremely fine while the coral is bright and stocked with dozens of tropical fish varieties.

The Rock is sacred ground to the local villagers who believe that the souls of their ancestors are now the plentiful "Striped T-shirt" snake. As a mark of respect I would suggest that you do not climb onto this rock....not to mention the hundreds of snakes that inhabit the island!

• Pros:A photographers dream.
  • Cons:Limited toilet/washroom facilities.
  • In a nutshell:A Jewel in the crown of the South Pacific.
  • Last visit to Île des Pins: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2005

• Zanzibargirl's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Hi Kev, long time no speak. I'm thinking of visiting Isle of Pines among other islands in the South Pacific next year. I would love to hear more about the must see places so if you have time do drop me an email to touch base. Hope you are well

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 3:42 AM

Wow, this place seems like paradise! Really makes me want to go for holidays straightaway :)

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 5:31 AM

Good thing you got your second glass of wine before they closed the bar. I would have done the same.

• Maximilian21's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2005 at 5:19 PM

Wonderful page, yeah i was on the same ship and visiting the island last year. The Pacific Sky is a great ship but seems to be plagued with dramas although my best friend did meet his wife on that ship when we where on it 2 years back.

K.Knight

“Don't die wondering”

Badges & Stats in Île des Pins

Have you been to Île des Pins?

Latest Activity in Île des Pins