"The Wonder that is Petra!" Petra by K.Knight
Petra Travel Guide: 1,022 reviews and 2,664 photos
As you begin to emerge from the Siq, and you have walked almost 3 kilometers, you are met with one of the most impressive sites in all of Jordan. I stood there in the shade of the cliffs and simply gazed at this unique and ancient wonder of the world!
The surroundings and everyone in view was simply dwarfed by this 30 meter wide by 43 meter high carving. It is impressive in status and I could not help but try and think of how impressive the Nabataen King was that inspired his people to carve such a grand and breathtaking monument.
The façade is impressive in itself but the top of the structure is littered with bullet holes. A group of Bedouins were drinking and decided to use the large urn (Tholos) at the top as target practice. Some suggest that they thought the urn was full of gold.
The Street of Facades is located just around the right hand bend as you are leaving the Tomb of 17 Tombs. This is the point where there is a Bedouin stall where they sell all types of bottles filled with colored sands that make up a desert scene. There are also dozens of camels located here where all of the local Bedouins will constantly ask you if you would like a ride on their camel!
Be warned, the camel ride is the shortest ride in all of Petra! The camels are only allowed between the Treasury and just past the Street of Facades. The handlers will ask you for US$15 and your camel ride will last a few minutes at best!
All the way through the impressive Siq you are met with bizarre formations and breathtaking colors in the rock formations.
You will pass three or four dams as well as several water harvesting system that were built by the Nabataean’s. There is also several water channels that were made from terracotta took the water from its origins approx 13 kilometers away to the town itself, approx 2 km’s below the bottom of the Siq
Well, I can honestly say that Anne and had the most enjoyable experiences during our day at Petra. Petra is one of the... more travel advice
I can not stress enough how you must prepare for this day out! The heat can become very oppressive and you really should... more travel advice
K.Knight's Related Pages
Petra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petra : the city of the caravans"
- "Petra: a wonderful town"
- "A love story with Petra"
- "The Nabataean City"
- "Petra - a highlight of Jordan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petra
- Hotels in Petra
- Transportation in Petra
- Nightlife in Petra
- Restaurants in Petra
- Shopping in Petra
- Warnings and Dangers in Petra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petra
- 23 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Petra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 70 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Beijing Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 78 photos, 8 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos
- Luxor Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chengdu Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos