"Sipadan island, the treasure of divers" Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Sipadan by cooltrudy
Pulau Sipadan Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 158 photos
The island of Sipadan lies five degrees north of the equator in the Sulawesi Sea (Celebes Sea). Lying 35km south of Semporna, on Sabah's mainland, like many tropical islands it is thickly forested and surrounded by sandy beaches. Sipadan is an oceanic island and was formed by living corals growing on top of an extinct undersea volcano, which rises 600m from the seabed.
The geographic position of Sipadan puts it in the centre of the richest marine habitat in the world, the heart of the Indo-Pacific basin. More than 3000 species of fish and hundreds of coral species have been classified in this richest of ecosystems. Sipadan is well known for its unusually large numbers of green and hawksbill turtles which gather there to mate and nest. Another unique feature to divers visiting Sipadan is the turtle tomb, an underwater limestone cave that contains many skeletal remains of tribes that became disoriented and then drowned.
It is not unusual for a diver to see more then 70 turtles on each dive. If you stop the boat for almost 10 minutes you could see many turtles that deeply breath on the surface.
- Pros:hundred fishes and many turtles: a paradisa for divers.
- Cons:you can't sleep there because of terroristic, ecological and politic reasons
- In a nutshell:Sipadan is so full of underwater animals that You'll be bored by fishes and turtles!
As you know Sipadan island is actually closed to tourism, in fact all restaurants, pubs, bars are closed. As a result... more travel advice
Sipadan is one of the best island in the world for underwater environment ! For this reason i reccomend to do everything... more travel advice
cooltrudy's Related Pages
Pulau Sipadan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "..marine paradise.."
- "A journey with my Nikon Coolpix 5200 to Sipadan"
- "Sipadan island, the treasure of divers"
- "Easter holiday on Sipadan Island"
- "Sipadan / Mabul"
- "The best drift diving spot in the world...possibly"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Sipadan
- Hotels in Pulau Sipadan
- Transportation in Pulau Sipadan
- Nightlife in Pulau Sipadan
- Restaurants in Pulau Sipadan
- Shopping in Pulau Sipadan
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Sipadan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pulau Sipadan
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Pulau Sipadan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Sipadan
Photos in Pulau SipadanSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Sipadan Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Pitigliano Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Milan Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Dubai Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Assisi Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Montecatini Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- New York City Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Pisa Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Singapore Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Pulau Sipadan hotel reviews
- Sipadan-Kapalai Island Resort
- 253 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013