"Chios - the island of my dreams" Top 5 Page for this destination Chios by mixelite

Chios Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 155 photos

Why Chios?

Chios is the place in the world where I feel most at home. Like many people I have chatted with that love Greece, or a part of Greece, I just feel a deep hapiness when I am there, and I can't really put the finger on one or two things which explains my love for the place. It is the total package; the beauty of the island and her people, and the food! Don't get me started on Greek food if you don't have plenty of time to spare ;-P

Chios - the island of the wind and the scents

When I walk onto the steps from the plane, I can feel the scents of the island and the breeze of the cooling meltemi. Hapiness is total when I walk towards the airport building to wait for my luggage. The building is small, divided into two areas, arrival and departure, and if you manage to get lost here, you'll get lost anywhere ;-) Chios has a very small airport, something most of us who love the island know to appreciate. The size means that the biggest airplanes can't land here and the charter tourism is comfortably low.

Not that I, or the others I have spoken to are snobs that think we are too good for charter(most of us arrive on charter flights anyway), but because we love meeting the people of Chios and would hate it if they would "disappear" in a crowd of tourists.

Sights

The most important sights of Chios seems to have been mentioned by VT members already, so I'll leave it for now.

If you like, you can check out my outside home page on http://home.no.net/mixelite/chios.php It is in norwegian, but for those of you that doesn't understand the language, there's always the pictures :-) Many of them are listed under the link "fotoalbum".

• Pros:Interesting sights, wonderful people, great food, big, you can find your own "private" beach if you just hire a car and go looking
  • Cons:I miss it too much when I am not there!
  • In a nutshell:I love it!
  • Last visit to Chios: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated May 30, 2004

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2006 at 8:47 AM

This is one part of Greece we haven't got to yet. I think we must, soon.

• Jul 1, 2005 at 6:27 AM

Many many happy returns of the day . Have a great birthday . Greetings from India . Nice phtographs.

mixelite

“A stranger's just a friend I haven't met yet(sorry about the lousy English)”

Badges & Stats in Chios