"Mixelite - and Chios." mixelite's Profile

Hi all,
I am 41 years old Norwegian housewife who used to love travelling everywhere. in 1990 we visited Chios, Greece for the first time, and since then it has been more and more difficult to dedicate my vacation for any other place, so I have been back several times. I love the island, the people, the food! .. Don't get me started on the food if you don't have alot of time to spare!

About me and my family:

I am married to a fisherman who trawls for shrimp. We have two boys, age 7and 13.

We live in a house by the sea, have a small, lowcost cabin in the mountains and least, but not last, a black cat named Sofus who loves going to the mountains with us. Well, he doesn't jump up and down with hapiness when he goes into the cage for the car, but he likes it when we get there.

Next trip to Chios June 2007

We are going to Chios again this summer and I can't wait! Some of us have been diagnosed with proteine intoleranse and can't eat wheat or dairy produce, so it will be a big change from before. We love greek food and it will be hard to give so much of it up! Any tips on the diet, eg from people with celiac is very welcome!

Every year we have a new goal for the vacation. This years goals are going swimming at Karfas, maybe be awake and out when the fishermen gets back to the harbour and I want to go explore the area around Keramia. Believe it or not, my 7 year old have been to Chios 9 times, and has yet to go swimming at Karfas!

What is it about this island?

I have tried to explain my love for Chios so many times, I have lost count! Of course there are the people, friendly, welcoming and eager to assist, the landscape with mountains, cliffs, plains, small secluded beaces and villages of all shapes and sizes. The food in Chios is great, by the way! Maybe I have already mentioned that once or twice...

We came to Chios by chance and got stuck on the island. We have only visited Chalkidiki, Atens, Portugal and Tenerife since, so we don't have much to compare with. I am convinced there are many just as great places in the world, and especially in Greece. So why Chios? of course it is nice to return and meet familiar faces and people who welcome us back, it is nice to know the place and our way round the island, but that's not _it_. From the first visit I had the feeling of coming home. It's nothing rational about it at all, it's just the way I feel. I am at home in Chios! Although I am 100% Norwegian.

• Intro Updated Apr 27, 2007

• Yiannis2000's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 2:18 PM

God høst fra Oslo, du forsvinner!?!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2006 at 8:43 AM

Sounds a nice life, especially with a travelling black cat!!!

• kettravels's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2005 at 11:18 AM

Happy Birthday Marianne! Have a wonderful day and a year of happy travels!

• bigblue's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2004 at 2:30 PM

VICTORY FOR GREEK FOOTBALL TEAM!

• Jun 30, 2004 at 10:44 PM

Marianne, many many happy returns of the day. Wishing you a happy birthday, a great time, happy travels and all the best for the future. Greetings from India. .

• FlyingShanice's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2004 at 8:43 PM

hi Marianne, happy happy birthday !!! Greetings from HK :P

• Jun 28, 2004 at 9:50 AM

Hello, thanks for visiting my Chios page. I am glad you enjoyed Tholopotami and all of Chios. I always love spending time with my family who lives there and can't wait to go back next year.

• Aggeliki's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2004 at 12:34 PM

Thanks a lot Marianne! You are always welcome! BEst regards from Athens:))

• XenosUK's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2004 at 8:04 AM

Welcome to VT Marianne. Good start - hope to see a lot more soon. E

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

mixelite

“A stranger's just a friend I haven't met yet(sorry about the lousy English)”

Real Name