"Nanjing (南京)" Nanjing by cal6060

Nanjing Travel Guide: 491 reviews and 1,297 photos

An Ancient Capital

Nanjing is one of the Four Great Ancient Capital Of China. In Chinese Nan means Southern and Jing means Capital, Southern Capital.

It was the capital of six Dynasties. In 1420, Ming Dynasty before Yongle Emperor moved the capital to Beijing.

In 1853, Taiping Heavenly Kingdom declared Nanjing as the Capital of China.

In 1912, Nanjing was also an important political administration city under the leadership of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen, Republic of China.

In 1927, KTM (Kuomintang - Taiwan Today) under the leadership of Chiang Kai Shek also declared Nanjing as the Capital City of China. It lasted for a decade, and returned in 1946 after the Surrender of Japan.

In 1937, Nanjing Massacre or the "Rape of Nanjing" began with horrify history of Nanjing with the death toll of more than 350,000 civilians killed by the Japanese troops.

Nanjing has gone through many historical events. Today, you can visit many historical sites and museums to commemorate the people, buildings, and the stories of the City. With the modern infrastructure today, visiting Nanjing can be easy without a local tour guide.

Zhongshan Gate 2004

On 21 Jan 2004, it was my first visit to Nanjing. We took a long-distant bus from Suzhou to Nanjing. It took us 2.5 hours to reach the city. It was different back in 2004 compare to Nanjing in 2011. It was polluted, dirty, and no metro system. It was in developing stage. I never thought I would come back again.

During my research for China 2011's trip , I decided to spend two days in Nanjing and learn more about the history of Nanjing and find out more about the new public transportation system to those attractions esp Zijing Mountain.

Zhongshan Gate 2011

From Luoyang, I arrived at Nanjing Railway Station by a sleeper train on 19.10.2011, 8:00am. Nanjing Railway Station has a new modern building. I walked outside the station I saw a beautiful city Skyline and the Xuanwu Lake. I was excited to see the differences as comparing Nanjing 2004. I proceed to my first metro ride in Nanjing to Home Inn at Ruijin Road. I stopped at Minggugong station, and 15-minutes walk to the hotel. It was a beautiful walk with wide tree-lined boulevards, nearby some colleges and universities.

I checked-in hotel, took a shower, and walked to the metro station and found a way to Zijing Mountain. For some reason, I ride on a wrong bus and ended up at ZhongShan Gate. I remembered I was there but forgot the name of the place. The funny part was that I took a picture on the same spot as I was here in 2004. By comparing both pictures, you could tell the air quality has improved so much in Nanjing.

After Zhongshan Gate, I took a right bus to Zhongshan Hill Scenic Area or Zijing Mountain. First, I visited Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Mausoleum, and nearby Open-Air Music Hall & Filial Scriptures Tripod. Then, I took a battery car to Ming Xiaoling Tomb. I wanted to go to Linggu Temple by public transportation, unfortunately the public bus does not link between parks in Zijing Mountain. So I paid Y20 for a taxi to get there. Finally, I reached Linggu Temple before dark and managed to visit major attractions nearby. I took a tourist Bus 2 to downtown area, Zhongshandong Road, for shopping and dinning.

On 20.10.12, I checked-out from the hotel, then took a bus to the metro station, minggugong station. I visited Minggugong Park before I took the metro train to Nanjing Railway Station to store my backpack. I took the metro to Mochou Lake after that. I visited Mochou Lake including attractions like Guongdong Soldiers Tomb, Zeng Guofan's Residence, Mochou Spring, Former Residence of Lady Mochou, and sollowless bridge.

After visiting Mochou Lake, I took the metro train to Daxinggong station, where the Presidential Palace, Nanjing 1920, and Nanjing Library are nearby. Finally, I ended the trip here by taking a speed rail to Shanghai.

• Pros:Historical, Clean, Green, and New Metro!
  • Cons:Some areas are still under construction!
  • In a nutshell:A great example of future Chinese City!!
  • Last visit to Nanjing: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Sep 4, 2012

cal6060

“Plan your trip to save cost, so you can travel for extra miles !! ”

Badges & Stats in Nanjing

Have you been to Nanjing?

Latest Activity in Nanjing