"Qosqo - El ombligo del mundo (navel of the world)" Cusco by Urzu

Cusco Travel Guide: 1,065 reviews and 2,293 photos

When I found out that I was going to go to Peru after 19 years (!), I thought I couldn't go to Lima and NOT go to visit Cusco as well. So I arranged to go for a few days and visit the place I had heard so much about.

Now 3 days to see the city of Cusco, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley were not nearly enough time, especially because I felt like there was so much more in the city that I hadn't seen. Still I had a wonderful time, I loved every single second of my stay, plus I got to see my cousin Monica who lives there and hadn't seen in about 8 years!!

The city of Cusco (Qosqo or Qusqu in Quechua) was the capital of the Inca Empire, and its name means navel. According to the inca mythology Cusco is the place where the three worlds came together: Uku Pacha (the world below), Kay Pacha (the visible world), and Hanan Pacha (the superior world). This is why Cusco is commonly known as the navel of the world.

The city offers many interesting sights, a mixture of Inca and colonial buildings, and of course there's so much to see around Cusco such as Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley!

• Pros:Lots of interesting sights, and great atmosphere
  • Cons:Way too many tourists!!
  • Last visit to Cusco: Jun 2008
  • Intro Written Jul 28, 2008

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Wonderful photos and good tips. Agreed though that as it was in SA, it was in North America but the Europeans that erased the native culture were from England mostly.. Thanks for the info

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2008 at 1:55 AM

Pues todo en su sitio, con alguna que otra página nueva

• Rob1eddy's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 10:48 AM

You did an outstanding job! I can only wish that I could make my pages as good as your are. Isn't Peru wonderful?

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 10:04 AM

All great tips and great photos...I wanta go!

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Awesome job, I think this is turning into one of your best pages! Very unique and informative tips and yes, I did find the head of the puma ;o)

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Just seen your Cusco page, brings back lovely memories. Great tips, you did see a lot in a short time. We were in Pacha Papa too with the group from our trek, delicious food, I can still almost taste the alpaca! Happy birthday again!

Badges & Stats in Cusco