"Qosqo - El ombligo del mundo (navel of the world)" Cusco by Urzu
Cusco Travel Guide: 1,083 reviews and 2,358 photos
When I found out that I was going to go to Peru after 19 years (!), I thought I couldn't go to Lima and NOT go to visit Cusco as well. So I arranged to go for a few days and visit the place I had heard so much about.
Now 3 days to see the city of Cusco, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley were not nearly enough time, especially because I felt like there was so much more in the city that I hadn't seen. Still I had a wonderful time, I loved every single second of my stay, plus I got to see my cousin Monica who lives there and hadn't seen in about 8 years!!
The city of Cusco (Qosqo or Qusqu in Quechua) was the capital of the Inca Empire, and its name means navel. According to the inca mythology Cusco is the place where the three worlds came together: Uku Pacha (the world below), Kay Pacha (the visible world), and Hanan Pacha (the superior world). This is why Cusco is commonly known as the navel of the world.
The city offers many interesting sights, a mixture of Inca and colonial buildings, and of course there's so much to see around Cusco such as Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley!
- Pros:Lots of interesting sights, and great atmosphere
- Cons:Way too many tourists!!
Puca Pucara means in Quechua “red fortress”, and it took this name because of the colour of the stones (especially at... more travel advice
There are many legends about the Inca Empire and all its temples, and of course Sacsayhuaman couldn’t be any less. One... more travel advice
Urzu's Related Pages
Cusco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cusco and the Sacred Valley"
- "The center of the Empire"
- "The "special" shine in Cusco"
- "Cusco - "Navel of the Earth""
- "A window on Cuzco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cusco
- Hotels in Cusco
- Transportation in Cusco
- Nightlife in Cusco
- Restaurants in Cusco
- Shopping in Cusco
- Warnings and Dangers in Cusco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cusco
- 21 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Cusco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cusco
Photos in CuscoSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Cusco Intro, 21 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saarbrücken Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos
- Granada Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Girona Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Idar-Oberstein Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Vienna Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Escorial Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Oudenbosch Intro, 1 review, 2 photos