"Christmas markets trip-10/12/06" Brussels by diosh

Brussels Travel Guide: 5,654 reviews and 11,971 photos

Coach journey to Brussels..

We met our fellow travellers in Kingston at 3.30a.m.The bus arrived late to pick us up and we were frozen by the time it arrived.We set off to next pick up point, which the driver couldn't find.One of the passengers had to direct him.Next port of call was service station en route to Dover Chunnel crossing.We were to change to another coach for outward journey.arriving there at 5.00 we were told that our next coach had broken down on the motorway, resulting in us being stuck at the service station till 9.00a.m.Fortunately the coffee bar was open.
When that coach arrived we headed off to Dover, having already missed our scheduled connection.So- a further wait at Dover for next train.Eventually we rolled onto the 'cattle truck' arrangement on the train and were 'penned' into a compartment, from which there was no escape for the duration of the tunnel crossing.We couldn't even see the fish as we went under the sea!
Arriving in Calais we then headed off to Brussels-or so we thought.What none of us realised was, that we'd have a stop in Bruges EN ROUTE, of 3.5 hours! We were dumped at an out of town car park and made our way, on foot, into Bruges.
We were all tired by this time and hadn't expected a sightseeing session in Bruges.We thought the advertised Bruges visit was for another day of our trip.We all wanted to get to our hotel in Brussels and relax.But that wasn't to be.Anyway- we made the best of it and found a nice cafe for a late, snack lunch, then wandered around the beautiful town, jam packed with tourists.It soon got dark, but the town was prettily lit with Christmas lights and decorations, so it looked like fairyland. We,being almost too tired to appreciate it.We then had to scramble back, across some rough ground, in the dark, to find the car park.Of course we got lost, but eventually spotted others of our party, in the dark, who had more of an idea where we should be, and boarded the bus and went straight to Brussels.We arrived, shattered at about 7.30p.m!

What we did there.

Will fill in later.

'Hat' story.

As we were travelling to belgium in December I wore my fluffy, dark brown hat for the journey.
After varied adventures en route,I discovered that my hat was not with me on arrival at our hotel.I must have left it on the coach.I bought a new one in one of the markets.It ws rather silly- but seasonal- fluffy, grey/green faux fur and really warm.
When we arrived home I set about trying to retrieve my lost hat.I loved it and wanted it back, so I contacted the coach company that had taken us to Brussels....
To be contd...

I found it eventually- now in Travelogue- below.Phew!
I've just continued the story and lost it!Will have to re- write later, when not so tired!....

• Pros:Fantasic visit-great food and choc:-)
  • Cons:None.
  • Last visit to Brussels: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 4, 2007

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2009 at 4:34 AM

Potful of mussels, what a feast ;-)))

• alycat's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2008 at 6:33 AM

Geez Diana..you photographed them before you lost them!

• Suet's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2008 at 3:06 AM

It is indeed a lovely city.... Hubby goes there on business frequently, although doesn't have time for shopping lolol

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Oh I'm so sorry I missed you. I am still in Brussels. Come back - stay the weekend (if you can manage the 67 steps to my flat)... I'll show you the best in chocs and hats (have a friend who makes very eccentric ones)... glad you had fun.

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Wow, these are really great pictures of your latest trip to Brussels, definitely put me in a Holiday mood!

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 6:44 AM

Sweet olives ?!?

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2007 at 6:11 AM

Diana it looks magical isnt Christmas lovely when all the lights go on over the world..

• Alex_71's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2007 at 1:30 AM

i'm happy you enjoyed Brusseles...but sorry for the poison:-( Enjoy your time with the.....rubbishLOL

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Leave the lasagna... finish this page, girl! :-) Your intro story is too entertaining.

diosh

“always look up-you'll discover so much more about buildings that way..”

Badges & Stats in Brussels

Have you been to Brussels?