"Christmas markets trip-10/12/06" Brussels by diosh
Brussels Travel Guide: 5,762 reviews and 12,312 photos
We met our fellow travellers in Kingston at 3.30a.m.The bus arrived late to pick us up and we were frozen by the time it arrived.We set off to next pick up point, which the driver couldn't find.One of the passengers had to direct him.Next port of call was service station en route to Dover Chunnel crossing.We were to change to another coach for outward journey.arriving there at 5.00 we were told that our next coach had broken down on the motorway, resulting in us being stuck at the service station till 9.00a.m.Fortunately the coffee bar was open.
When that coach arrived we headed off to Dover, having already missed our scheduled connection.So- a further wait at Dover for next train.Eventually we rolled onto the 'cattle truck' arrangement on the train and were 'penned' into a compartment, from which there was no escape for the duration of the tunnel crossing.We couldn't even see the fish as we went under the sea!
Arriving in Calais we then headed off to Brussels-or so we thought.What none of us realised was, that we'd have a stop in Bruges EN ROUTE, of 3.5 hours! We were dumped at an out of town car park and made our way, on foot, into Bruges.
We were all tired by this time and hadn't expected a sightseeing session in Bruges.We thought the advertised Bruges visit was for another day of our trip.We all wanted to get to our hotel in Brussels and relax.But that wasn't to be.Anyway- we made the best of it and found a nice cafe for a late, snack lunch, then wandered around the beautiful town, jam packed with tourists.It soon got dark, but the town was prettily lit with Christmas lights and decorations, so it looked like fairyland. We,being almost too tired to appreciate it.We then had to scramble back, across some rough ground, in the dark, to find the car park.Of course we got lost, but eventually spotted others of our party, in the dark, who had more of an idea where we should be, and boarded the bus and went straight to Brussels.We arrived, shattered at about 7.30p.m!
Will fill in later.
As we were travelling to belgium in December I wore my fluffy, dark brown hat for the journey.
After varied adventures en route,I discovered that my hat was not with me on arrival at our hotel.I must have left it on the coach.I bought a new one in one of the markets.It ws rather silly- but seasonal- fluffy, grey/green faux fur and really warm.
When we arrived home I set about trying to retrieve my lost hat.I loved it and wanted it back, so I contacted the coach company that had taken us to Brussels....
To be contd...
I found it eventually- now in Travelogue- below.Phew!
I've just continued the story and lost it!Will have to re- write later, when not so tired!....
- Pros:Fantasic visit-great food and choc:-)
diosh's Related Pages
Brussels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than a decade in Brussels"
- "Say Brussels?? K! let's go to find The Soul"
- "BRUXELLES - BRUSSEL - BRUSSELS"
- "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
- "Brussels, Capital of Belgium"
- "Bruxelles, ma belle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brussels
- Hotels in Brussels
- Transportation in Brussels
- Nightlife in Brussels
- Restaurants in Brussels
- Shopping in Brussels
- Warnings and Dangers in Brussels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brussels
- 1 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brussels
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Elecrtic light at home"
- Commented on one of scottishvisitor's Brussels travel pages
- updated a Brussels Travelogue "Brussels-Christmas markets....and 'Hat' story!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Brussels-Christmas markets....and 'Hat' story!"
- Wrote a Review Christmas in Brussels in Brussels Hotels
Photos in BrusselsSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 35 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sète Intro, 37 reviews, 85 photos
- Porlock Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Brussels Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haute-Normandie Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nairobi Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Twickenham Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos