"Broadstairs, Kent" Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs by diosh
Broadstairs Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 198 photos
We went down for the day, 06/03/08, by train.Woke up to a delightful sunny, cold day and decided to go.
We noticed quite a few changes.The town's being made more upmarket-after all these years!
More coffee houses and more fashionable shops and a curry place!
We sat outside Chiapinni's, having a coffee, looking at the bay and jetty, in the sun.Lovely..
The sun shone all day .We had chips on the jetty, before walking along the beach.
Excellent train service, there and back- from Victoria.
If you want to visit a traditional English seaside town, go to Broadstairs in
Kent.It's absolutely delightful.
Its beautiful sandy beach,Viking Bay is huddled under the steep cliffs.At the
far end of the bay is the jetty, overlooked atop the cliffs by Bleak House,
where Charles Dickens lived and wrote.The place has hardly changed from
the time he was in residence in the 19th Century.It remains unspoilt by
See pics of Broadstairs on my "Me and the Boys" page, with my kids.
Incidentally- the new advertisement for E.ON Power is set in Broadstairs!
It shows people being blown about in all the favourite places in
Broadstairs, on the prom,atop the cliffs, on the beach, on the jetty, up
York Street, by the
Bandstand, in Voctoria Gardens, etc. A lovely ad for the place, with the
delicious Bill Nighy doing the voice over:-)
The ad is entitled "Wind of Change"
This is the main bay of Broadstairs, a huge sweep of sandy beach,(cleaned every day in the summer).
The beach can be reached from the promenade by flights of steps,(fine going down but not so funny going up after a hard day's bathing!)
The writer -John Buchan found his inspiration for his book, "The 39 steps",
from the original Victorian steps that were built into the cliffside of the
adjoining bay-Stone Bay.There are in fact over 70 odd steep steps, but
Buchan decided to make it 39 as it sounded better!
They are quite treacherous to walk up or down, as they get very slimey,
from all the undergrowth that hangs over them.
So take care- if you're following in the 'steps 'of Buchan!
The best place for ice-cream is at Morelli's Ice Cream bar.It's on the
promenade and has remained the same since it was built in the 1930s.
Its a beautiful, stylish bar and cafe, whose decor is in the 30s style of
chrome, pale green and pale pink, with a fountain in the centre that
changes colour as the different lights play on it.The scrumptious ice-
creams are to die for.
- Pros:Pure 'bucket and spade' English seaside.
- In a nutshell:A 'Dickens' of a place!
One of our favourite things is to sit on the jetty with a cuppa, admiring the view, the sea and people watching. One has... more travel advice
Ramsgate is a lovely walk from Broadstairs,along the cliff top.The model village has been there since the 1940s and was... more travel advice
diosh's Related Pages
Broadstairs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nothing changes much."
- "Broadstairs, Kent"
- "Historic Broadstairs"
- "Broadstairs in Kent"
- "My first trip to UK...to study English"
- "Easter in Broadstairs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Broadstairs
- Hotels in Broadstairs
- Transportation in Broadstairs
- Nightlife in Broadstairs
- Restaurants in Broadstairs
- Shopping in Broadstairs
- Warnings and Dangers in Broadstairs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Broadstairs
- 12 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Broadstairs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broadstairs
Photos in BroadstairsSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 35 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sète Intro, 37 reviews, 85 photos
- Porlock Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Brussels Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haute-Normandie Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nairobi Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Twickenham Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos