"One of the best...sadly now gone..as of 2011:-(" London by diosh

London Travel Guide: 23,494 reviews and 49,597 photos

Cafe Rest,Shepherd's Bush,W12

I was taken to this cafe some time ago and couldn't believe how good it was.-A hidden gem in London!
I endevoured to find it again and succeeded this weekend.I decided to take my kids there for Sunday lunch.I rang up on Saturday, having located the place with the help of the internet.They were open, so we arranged to go.We had to travel by public transport, so got a bus to Hammersmith from Richmond, then walked from Hammersmith down to Shepherd's Bush.It was about a 20 minute walk.I was quite slow as it was a hot day!
We eventually found the place, having gone the wrong way down Goldhawk Rd first.My fault as I'd not written down the number!
We settled in and were presented with the menu.You can actually choose anything on the menu in any combination you wish.The food is scrummy, home- cooked and huge portions!You can have a roast (4kinds of meat), with all the trimmings.Their roast potatoes are to die for!To be contd.

The Menu

Apart from the roasts,(beef, chicken, pork, lamb)and all the trimmings,-there is pasta, in a variety of forms;spaghetti bolognaise,lasagne,canneloni, etc.
Going back to the roast-I was offered braised steak, instead of the other meats,which I had.
There is a choice of every combination of what we call 'full English Breakfast', all day.Eggs, chips, beans and bacon,Gammon, chips, etc.,Sausages and Mash,Liver and Bacon casserole-you cannot believe how delicious this is!I could go on, but it's making me hungry!You can mix and match however you like, with the menu, add extra veg to the roasts,change the veg, whatever you want!

The Puds!

After eating till we were nearly bursting we were offered the pudding menu-
Various fruit pies and custard, fruit salad,sponge puddings, ice cream-whatever!
Followed by giant mugs of tea or coffee!
The prices at this cafe are ridiculous-for London in 2005!3 of us had an absolute blow- out,mains, puds, cold drinks and teas and it came to 18GBP.
e.g.Roasts are 4.00GBP, most other dishes are 3.10GBP, puds are 90p.Cold drinks are 70p.

I am so glad I found it again and that I can promote it on VT!

• Pros:Too numerous!You can eat anything you want from the vast menu in any combination you want.
  • Cons:None-apart from not being able to move after the meal
  • In a nutshell:'Cafe Rest 'is the Best:-))
  • Last visit to London: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 14, 2011

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Diana, great photos of the "spider". Looks real and scary to me. I love going to open air markets and Kempton Park market looks like a good one. Take care, Larry

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2009 at 7:20 AM

yes, great Cafe' TIP--added to my notes for next London trip, as one of my best friends now lives there. Is that spider a relative of the one at the Guggenheim in Bilbao? (pictured on my B. page)

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2009 at 12:53 PM

What a wonderful Restaurant tip, shall keep it in mind for a future visit form the touristy city centre to the real suburban eatery frequented by locals ;-)))

• elvenom's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 9:38 PM

wonderful page with great suggestions! traveling for the first time to london with friends in september. very excited!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2008 at 7:17 AM

Hello, Diana! Thanx for your great tips! Take care ~

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Now you've got my taste buds working overtime Diana!! :o) Restaurant is now on my London 'todo' list :o) Hugs xx

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM

Eclipse? Oh. Was not even aware of it! Ooops! True - your freedom pass is now all over the country - so why are younot signed up for Halifax in September and Manchester Christmas Markets Meets?? Come on! You know you want to!

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 11:56 AM

I really do have to visit London again!

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 7:58 AM

HI DIANA.. This looks a realy interesting sculptor. or you made it sound so good..kids playing under her legs..creepy....Love Pattypooxx

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 1:03 AM

This spider is almost too lifelike for my taste! Thank goodness they're not that big in reality. Thank you for the tip about the café, I'm just about to book my next trip to London and I love good food.

diosh

“always look up-you'll discover so much more about buildings that way..”

Badges & Stats in London