"Beautiful Porlock." Porlock by diosh
Porlock Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 97 photos
I've just spent a week with
one of my friends in Porlock.. It's on the edge of Exmoor, in Somerset.We had a totally
relaxing time, visiting stunning places, going into Exmoor, seeing the
ponies, visiting Doone Valley and the church where 'Lorna Doone '
was 'shot'.Walked to the beach near her house and visited other beautiful
beaches nearby-totally unspoilt, as well as Porlock Weir, where we
watched the fishermen and ate ice cream!Coming back to noisy London
was a horrible shock.
Her new house is a stunner- 5 bedrooms, courtyards, 2 bathrooms, etc.,
etc. and of course much cheaper than London.She's got so much more for
Life in Porlock is so different- relaxing with friendly, helpful people who
can't do enough for you.
Sitting up in bed, in 'my' room, I could see Exmoor and the sea!
her house is off to the right in the picture, at the end of the terrace of
white houses, with the pub on the corner.
What a view?
This is about 20 minute walk from the house, along footpath, beside fields and through the woods.
When we reached it we were the only people there.
My friend calls it 'her' beach! There's never anyone there- apart from the
odd birdwatcher. The birdlife is incredible. We saw birds I've never seen
before- Dunlin, finches, flocks of greenfinches scooting by.
Unfortunately ground was very muddy, after all the rain and I took a
tumble on the way back-so undignified! Skidded down a muddy bank and
landed in a sea water puddle- getting absolutely soaked. There were rocks
at the bottom, which caught my ribs, knee and arm. Am a mass of bruises!
But I'll recover.
When I got home I discovered I'd broken several ribs!!
I did recover- slowly.
The village nestles amongst the woods, snuggled up to Exmoor.
This was the view of the sea that I had from 'my' bedroom window.
The sea is the Bristol Channel- opposite, on the horizon is Wales- the Gower Peninsular.
Driving up into Exmoor and the Doone Valley, we had glimpses of the sea
at every turn.
Along the grassy verges were Exmoor ponies- wandering around, grazing.
We stopped and looked at 2 mothers with 2 foals.Aah.
They wander freely all over the moors.
- Pros:Quiet, relaxing place, where one can forget about noisy London.
- Cons:None at all- oh -tourist traffic through the village.It gets rather jammed by visitors passing thru.
- In a nutshell:An ideal place for a peaceful holiday-with family or alone-so much to do and see.
These are the wonderful views from my bedroom window! Exmoor one way- the sea the other and beautiful little cottages... more travel advice
A fascinating little harbour and marina.Coleridge lived here while he wrote the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.The statue... more travel advice
diosh's Related Pages
Porlock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Porlock."
- "The Misplaced Village"
- "Welcome to Porlock"
- "More than just a steep road"
- "JUST NORTH OF PORLOCK IS PORLOCK WEIR"
- "Picturesque Exmoor Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porlock
- Transportation in Porlock
- Restaurants in Porlock
- Shopping in Porlock
- Warnings and Dangers in Porlock
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porlock
- 8 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Porlock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porlock
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 35 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sète Intro, 37 reviews, 85 photos
- Porlock Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Brussels Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haute-Normandie Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nairobi Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Twickenham Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos