"Richmond,Surrey" Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond by diosh
Richmond Travel Guide: 277 reviews and 891 photos
Richmond is an attractive town,outside London,but within easy reach by tube and mainline trains and buses,to central London.
It is on the bank of the Thames,delightful for walking to nearby Kew or Ham.The riverside is well served with pubs,all of which provide food.
Richmond is famous for its Park,historic buildings (remains of the old Palace,built by Henry V111, and where Queen Elizabeth I died.).
It is plentiful in restaurants and cafes and good shops.Larger supermarkets are to be found out of town.
Cricket is played on The Green in summer and the Richmond Theatre is near by.
The Orange Tree theatre is opposite the station.
Of course,Richmond is where the Rolling Stones,Yardbirds and many other 60s R.&B. groups started their careers.They played at clubs in Richmond as well as at the famous Eel Pie Island,in Twickenham.There is a thriving Eel Pie revival club held at the Cabbage Patch pub in Twickenham.(see Eel Pie Island web sites).
Nearby Kew Gardens can be visited easily by bus(10 minutes away).
There is a large swimming pool at Pools on the Park,with indoor and outdoor and kids' pools.+ gym,sauna,etc. facilities.
Many 'stars' of stage and film and TV screen live here and you are likely to bump into them shopping in Tesco or strolling down the high street!
Overall, a truly delightful place to live,or visit,with green,open spaces,yet near to London
These boats can be hired so one can take a leisurely row down the river.
The boatyard on the river bank still makes traditional wooden boats-wherries.
This is one of the ponds in the park-Pen Ponds.The ponds are so named as they form the shape of a fountain pen.Many swans, coots, moorhens, ducks, etc. make these ponds their home.
These ponds were camouflaged during the war, by being completely covered over with mock bushes, trees and shrubbery.They would have been such a landmark, so near to London, for enemy aircraft they had to be disguised.
Nowadays they are visited by walkers and provide a beautiful , tranquil place to sit and picnic, or just admire the view.
There is a tunnel under the water, linking the two ponds and providing an overflow if the ponds ever flood.Daring kids have been known, in the past,to swim to the tunnel, dive down and swim through it, coming out at the other end into the smaller pond!
- Pros:A green landscape in the outskirts of London.
- Cons:Can't think of any!
- In a nutshell:It's got everything!
The food was beautifully served, the host,Marco Borghesi, friendly and the food delicious.The 3 of us dining all had... more travel advice
This lake in the Plantation is home to many varieties of exotic ducks. There are Mandarins, Egyptian Geese, Divers,... more travel advice
- See All More Christmas bubbles and baubles 2007.
- White Cross 'high tide' meet.31/08/07
- See All Meet at the White Cross.
Written Aug 10, 2008
Fire in Richmond.
Written May 2, 2009
VT picnic in Richmond Park.
diosh's Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Richmond ,sanctuary from the City"
- "Quest for the Ultimate Cupcake"
- "My part of London"
- "Richmond and Richmond Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Nightlife in Richmond
- Restaurants in Richmond
- Shopping in Richmond
- Warnings and Dangers in Richmond
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 35 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 65 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How bad is the weather in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to ""Stranded in the White Cross pub"-Richmond, Surrey"
- Wrote a Review Great Italian! in Richmond Restaurants
- Commented on one of suvanki's Richmond travel pages
- updated a Richmond Travelogue "VT picnic in Richmond Park."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 35 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sète Intro, 37 reviews, 85 photos
- Porlock Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Brussels Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haute-Normandie Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nairobi Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Twickenham Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos