Twickenham Off The Beaten Path Tips by diosh Top 5 Page for this destination
Twickenham Off The Beaten Path: 6 reviews and 6 photos
View of Richmond Hill
This is what Raft Man looks out at every day-lucky thing-from his mooring in the middle of the river.
I just realised something funny-Mick Jagger lives at the top of the Hill-top left in pic.So he can look at raftman and raftman can observe him!
From the sublime to the ridiculous-2 opposite ends of the economic spectrum:-)
The walk from Twickenham to Richmond, along the riverside is a pleasant one, taking in the wildlife and beautiful views.Turning left after visiting Orleans Gallery, will take you along the river, via the footpath.Along the way you'll pass 'Raft Man'.He has lived on the river on his home made raft, for over 25 years!He lives alone on it and hasn't spoken to a soul in that time.He looks after nesting ducks and ducklings, making floating pens for their protection, attached to his raft.He goes into Twickenham, periodically to shop, but doesn't speak to anyone.Hhe looks after injured swansand ducks, etc.caught on carelessly discarded fishing lines, etc.He stays on the raft in all weathers, ccovered only by a tarpaulin.He has all his belongings with him, on board and is totally self sufficient, as regards to company.
He's in his 50s and is called Ian McCullough.Local residents think he was a university lecturer at Edinburgh and say 'he is pleasant and no threat to anyone'.
Some locals want him moved on as his raft is expanding in size, with new additions, over the years, but the Port of London Authority have no problem with him being there, as he is not a danger to anyone or any boats.
Eel Pie Island is to the left of the photo of the riverside.It's reached by a pedestrian bridge.Cars have to be left at the Twickenham side!
More Reviews (1)
diosh's Related Pages
Twickenham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Twickenham: Home of the English Rugby Union"
- "Twickenham-Richmond's riverside neighbour"
- "By the Thames in south west London"
- "Twickers is Fab"
- "The Home of the World Champions"
- "England 12 Barbarians 32"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Twickenham
- Restaurants in Twickenham
- Shopping in Twickenham
- Warnings and Dangers in Twickenham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Twickenham
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Twickenham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Twickenham
Photos in TwickenhamSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 35 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sète Intro, 37 reviews, 85 photos
- Porlock Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Brussels Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haute-Normandie Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nairobi Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Twickenham Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos