"Vias-Languedoc Roussillon" Vias by diosh
Vias Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 25 photos
Vias- old Roman market town, is built near the end of the Canal du Midi-
where it meets the Mediterranean Sea at Tamarissiere- signalled at each end by a lighthouse.
This 360-km network of navigable waterways linking the Mediterranean
and the Atlantic through 328 structures (locks, aqueducts, bridges,
tunnels, etc.) is one of the most remarkable feats of civil engineering in
modern times. Built between 1667 and 1694, it paved the way for the
Industrial Revolution. The care that its creator, Pierre-Paul Riquet, took in
the design and the way it blends with its surroundings turned a technical
achievement into a work of art.
Its route runs from Bordeaux in the West of France to Sete/Vias in the South West.
This canal meanders through quiet, secluded areas of South West France.Walks along the bank- or slow narrowboat trips are an ideal way of seeing the beautiful , unspoilt countryside.
diosh's Related Pages
Vias Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vias
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Vias?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vias
Photos in ViasSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 35 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sète Intro, 37 reviews, 85 photos
- Porlock Intro, 8 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Brussels Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haute-Normandie Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nairobi Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Twickenham Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos