"Far from the madding crowd" Top 5 Page for this destination Botswana by magor65
Botswana Travel Guide: 748 reviews and 2,420 photos
My trip to Botswana was part of a 20 day organised overland safari from Cape Town to Victoria Falls.
Botswana is a landlocked country, the size of which can be compared to that of France. It is one of the least densely populated countries of the world (3 people per 1 square km). With over 40 % of its area given over to national parks and reserves, it is undoubtedly a fantastic destination for watching wildlife. The Chobe national park is said to have the greatest concentration of elephants in the world and other animals are in abundance, as well.
Botswana is a young country (got its independence in1966) and is often referred to as an example of a success story because of its political stability and high economic standards. However, one of the most serious problems here is the high HIV infection rate estimated at 24%, which is the second highest reported in the world. According to the WHO almost 40% of all the inhabitants between 15 and 49 are HIV positive.
The number of tourists coming to Botswana is controlled by charging much more than in the neighbouring countries. However, the offer for richer visitors is well developed including luxury accommodation and well-qualified guides. Being a budget traveller, I had to be satisfied with sleeping in a tent on campsites whose standard was definitely lower than in Namibia. But no regrets - other impressions were so wonderful that they made up for all the discomfort.
- Pros:nature, wildlife, Delta Okavango, Chobe
- Cons:high prices
Malaria is a big problem in Africa. As northern Botswana lies in the high risk zone we decided to take anti-malaria... more travel advice
A buffalo is the last animal we see during the Chobe cruise. Now we can say that we've seen four of the Big Five, namely... more travel advice
magor65's Related Pages
Botswana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FLAT, FRIENDLY & FUN"
- "Okavango - Jewel of Africa"
- "Far from the madding crowd"
- "Might this be Eden?"
- "Botswana 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Botswana
- Hotels in Botswana
- Transportation in Botswana
- Nightlife in Botswana
- Restaurants in Botswana
- Shopping in Botswana
- Warnings and Dangers in Botswana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Botswana
- 23 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Botswana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Botswana
Top 10 Pages
- Namibia Intro, 31 reviews, 114 photos
- Portugal Intro, 27 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 45 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tuscany Intro, 23 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 25 reviews, 91 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 23 reviews, 86 photos
- Ireland Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Czech Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 79 photos