"Delphi - where man was closest to the gods" Top 5 Page for this destination Delphi by magor65

Delphi Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 942 photos

Delphi is NOT just another archeological site, it is THE SITE you must visit if you come to Greece.
For almost one thousand years it was one of the spiritual centres of the world - with its oracle attracting pilgrims from close by and afar. It also played a significant political role; no political decision could be made without consulting Pythia, the priestess of Apollo. Delphi is the place on earth where man was closest to the gods, where the border-line between myth and reality, fact and fiction is hard to grasp.
Built on the slopes of Mount Parnassos with which it creates the natural amphiteatre, Delphi has a truly breathtaking location.
Take your time, admire the views, walk among the ancient ruins - if you bother to listen, they will speak to you.

• In a nutshell:beautiful landscape + ancient ruins = unforgettable mixture
  • Last visit to Delphi: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2006

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Gorgeous page and outstanding photos of ancient Delphi. Can you believe that I have never been to Greece. If I visited Delphi I would definitely also explore the new part of the town.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Greetings Malgorzata,thanks for a nice little walk down memory lane.Delphi is such a beautiful place isn't it.I passed through here in the Seventies.Thanks for stopping by..I'm happy that you enjoyed your visit to Thun with me!Hope you are well!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Have been to Greece many times, but never made it to Delphi. Planning to change this next month! Great write-up!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 3:17 AM

I was told that I need to go to the Oracle of Delphi as there is something waiting there for me, so next year I am going. thanks your tips will help me ;-)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 8:54 AM

Very interesting and informative tips on Delphi the myths & history here are fascinating

• Aug 4, 2006 at 2:40 PM

Thank you Malgorzata for taking me on your tour of Delphi, a place filled with mythology and stories that fill us with awe, something only the Greeks could have created. My best regards Martin

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2006 at 4:29 AM

Another most informative page. Great writing.

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2006 at 12:56 AM

As always you provide a wealth of information to support your tips -- I especially like the story of the birds dropping dead when they heard Neron perform! -- excellent page Malgorzata.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 1:01 PM

Malgorzata, this place looks fantastic. I must brush up on my Greek Mythology.

magor65

“I'm no longer sure that what's important is more important than what is not”

Badges & Stats in Delphi