"In the Bay of Poets" Top 5 Page for this destination Portovenere by magor65
Portovenere Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 363 photos
I visited Portovenere in summer 2011 during our family holiday in Tuscany and Liguria. The place I had never heard about before turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. What I had planned to see was the famous Cinque Terre - five coastal villages located on terraced hills falling steeply towards the sea. Beautiful as they are, they didn't fully come up to my expectations, mainly because of crowds of tourists everywhere - on the train, in the villages' bars and cafes, even on the trails. So after spending there one whole day - partly covering the distance between the villages on foot, partly by train - we were so exhausted that we decided to explore other destinations nearby.
We were based in La Spezia, so it was not hard for us to find out what the region had to offer. We decided to go to Portovenere - a place easily accessible by ferry and bus. We just loved it from the first sight and it didn't change when we got to know it better.
- In a nutshell:a place of unique beauty but not so crowded with tourists as Cinque Terre
The village of Vernazza was founded in the year 1000 but flourished in the 13th century under the dominion of the... more travel advice
Although Cinque Terre was the main reason of our visit to Liguria, it didn't turn out to be the highlight of it. It... more travel advice
magor65's Related Pages
Portovenere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portovenere - Our Favourite Place in all of Italy!"
- "Portovenere - The Jewel of Liguria"
- "In the Bay of Poets"
- "Portovenere e le Cinque Terre"
- "Under-rated a must see in Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portovenere
- Hotels in Portovenere
- Transportation in Portovenere
- Nightlife in Portovenere
- Restaurants in Portovenere
- Shopping in Portovenere
- Warnings and Dangers in Portovenere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portovenere
- 11 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Portovenere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portovenere
Top 10 Pages
- Namibia Intro, 31 reviews, 114 photos
- Portugal Intro, 27 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 45 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tuscany Intro, 23 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 25 reviews, 91 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos
- Ireland Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Czech Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 79 photos
- Laos Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos