"In the Bay of Poets" Top 5 Page for this destination Portovenere by magor65

Portovenere Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 401 photos

I visited Portovenere in summer 2011 during our family holiday in Tuscany and Liguria. The place I had never heard about before turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. What I had planned to see was the famous Cinque Terre - five coastal villages located on terraced hills falling steeply towards the sea. Beautiful as they are, they didn't fully come up to my expectations, mainly because of crowds of tourists everywhere - on the train, in the villages' bars and cafes, even on the trails. So after spending there one whole day - partly covering the distance between the villages on foot, partly by train - we were so exhausted that we decided to explore other destinations nearby.

We were based in La Spezia, so it was not hard for us to find out what the region had to offer. We decided to go to Portovenere - a place easily accessible by ferry and bus. We just loved it from the first sight and it didn't change when we got to know it better.

• In a nutshell:a place of unique beauty but not so crowded with tourists as Cinque Terre
  • Intro Written Jan 22, 2012

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Enjoyed your comments about Portovenere and Cinque Terre - we will be there in three weeks. Hope restoration and repairs have improved things there.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM

A lovely page and your photo's are beautiful! Looks like somewhere else to add to my wish list!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Marvellous intro photo, Malgorzata :-) And also your other photos are very much inspiring! No wonder that you had to flee the "Stevensian" infested Cinque Terre and found this gem nearby. I love the churches and have looked up the procession of Madonna Bianca on youtube: it is a very much moving event!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Fantastic page about this Italian UNESCO gem. I once visited the Cinque Terre, but never really made it to Portovenere.

magor65

“I'm no longer sure that what's important is more important than what is not”

Badges & Stats in Portovenere

Have you been to Portovenere?

Latest Activity in Portovenere