"The colours of Chalkidiki" Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Chalkidiki by magor65
Prefecture of Chalkidiki Travel Guide: 155 reviews and 515 photos
Sandy golden beaches, little bays hidden among white rocks, green hills covered by stone-pines, clear blue sea, abundance of colours - these are the pictures that come to my mind when I think of Chalkidiki.
When you look at the map, Chalkidiki resembles the trident of Poseidon and its three parts are Kassandra, Sithonia and Athos. Kassandra is best developed as far as tourism is concerned. But it's worth remembering that after Greek uprising of 1820's it was abandoned for almost 100 years. Only in 1923 the repatriates from the region of the Marmara Sea started settling down here. As for Sithonia, most of its area used to belong to the monastic republic of Athos. Its inner part is taken by the mountains but beautiful beaches attract more and more tourists nowadays.
Finally Athos with its Agion Oros (Holy Mountain), veiled by its mysterious aura, which can be revealed only by the few.
- Pros:it's still possible to find peace and quiet there
- Cons:not easy to move around if you don't have a car at your disposal
- In a nutshell:not fully appreciated by tourists, which for me is its asset
The beaches of Chalkidiki are said to be the best in mainland Greece. I can assure everybody that the ones on Athos are... more travel advice
Driving along Greek roads you can't miss little chapels - there are so many of them. They have been put in the places of... more travel advice
magor65's Related Pages
Prefecture of Chalkidiki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "So Many Beaches.......!!!!!"
- "The colours of Chalkidiki"
- "Chalkidiki - Greece's secret paradise"
- "Chalkidiki, A Green Oasis"
- "Halkidiki - The little Northern Greek surprise"
- "Great beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Chalkidiki
- Hotels in Prefecture of Chalkidiki
- Transportation in Prefecture of Chalkidiki
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Chalkidiki
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Chalkidiki
- Shopping in Prefecture of Chalkidiki
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Chalkidiki
- See All...
Explore the World
- Grand Canyon
- Abbaye d'Orval
- Province of Ontario
- Andros Island
- Tunisia Hotels
- Anjuna Hotels
- Abu Zaby
- Easter Island
- Negeri Melaka
- Ano Nuevo Island State Park Hotels
- Navajo National Monument Hotels
- Ilha de Fernando de Noronha Hotels
- Eureka Springs
- Ha Ha Tonka State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Chalkidiki
- 12 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Prefecture of Chalkidiki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Chalkidiki
- Posted in Travel Poland Forum "Re: Olsztyn - accommodation /..."
- Commented on one of csordila's Prefecture of Chalkidiki travel pages
- Wrote a Review Enjoy the sea in Prefecture of Chalkidiki Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Road chapels"
- updated a Prefecture of Chalkidiki Travel Page "The colours of Chalkidiki"
Photos in Prefecture of ChalkidikiSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Namibia Intro, 31 reviews, 114 photos
- Portugal Intro, 27 reviews, 103 photos
- Tuscany Intro, 23 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 43 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 25 reviews, 91 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos
- Ireland Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Czech Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 79 photos
- Laos Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos