"Beautiful Sachsen" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Sachsen by magor65

Land Sachsen Travel Guide: 4,303 reviews and 15,683 photos

Sachsen (Saxony) is the easternmost state of Germany bordering on Poland and the Czech Republic. Its history is strictly connected with the House of Wettin, who ruled Sachsen for over 800 years and for some time were also kings of Poland. They left numerous castles and palaces which now attract tourists from every corner of the world. Geographically the region belongs to one of the most picturesque parts of Europe. Mountains, hills, rock formations offer possibilities of active tourism. The meandring Elbe river invites you to explore the region on numerous pleasure boats. Dresden, Leipzig and other towns have a rich cultural offer, including concerts or visiting museums.
For us it was interesting to look for traces of Slovian past in this very German state. The town of Bautzen (Budysin) is still inhabited by Slovian minority of Sorbs and all names in this place are in two languages.
We spent three beautiful sunny days in Sachsen. Not enough to see all that we wanted to see, but enough to decide that we must come back.

• Last visit to Land Sachsen: Jul 2013
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2014

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Happy birthday from Germany. I hope you are doing well. - Great updates and new tips here.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Thanks to your pages I got to see a little more stuff here than I was originally going to. Wished I'd had more time in Bautzen though, I remember going through on the train. Thanks for sharing.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2008 at 4:27 AM

A very informative page and excellent pictures. You were so lucky with the weather, as I can see from the blue sky in your photos.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Great tips and photos -- lots of information here. Please also tell us about the food and beer. :) Best from New Jersey, Bill

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2007 at 11:44 AM

I was lucky enough to spend 1 day in Dresden four years ago. Nice tips and photos.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2007 at 12:05 PM

My home away from home (my wife is from here) but not made it to Pravcicka Brana despite a couple attempts. I will have to try harder from the looks of it.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Fantastic page with brilliant photos. You obviously had clear blue sky. When I was in Dresden I also went to Pillnitz for half a day. It looks like there are many more lovely places to explore. Keep up the good work .... :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Interesting and insightful tips on Dresden and vicinity. I never knew that the name Dresden comes from the Sorbian word "dreszdany", meaning a place inhabited by riverside forest people.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Stupendous is all I can say! What a great page with an imposing fortress, beautiful natural rock arch, 'materialistic' ghosts (I hate that type) and the Blaues Wonder!! It is great to see Dresden being restored from the WW2 destruction.

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Beautiful pages and splendid pics about Saxony

magor65

“I'm no longer sure that what's important is more important than what is not”

Badges & Stats in Land Sachsen

Have you been to Land Sachsen?

Latest Activity in Land Sachsen