"Hue in the rain" Hue by magor65

Hue Travel Guide: 621 reviews and 1,726 photos

Although I had heard about the capricious weather in Hue I was quite disappointed to find it raining all the time during our short stay there. Having seen the highlights of the city we decided to go south 'towards the sun', without giving ourselves a chance to immerse in the atmosphere of the place and forming any kind of emotional bond with it. After easy-going Laos, Hue made a contrast with its stream of motorcyclists and crowded streets. But still I will remember Hue as an interesting city with magnificent architecture.

Despite the infamous weather Hue is frequently visited by foreign tourists. Its old imperial complex is inscribed in the UNESCO Cultural Heritage list. The city used to be the capital of Vietnam during the reign of the Nguyen dynasty (1802- 1945). Although it was severely destroyed in 1968 during Vietnamese American war, many architectural gems are preserved. So don't give it a miss if you come to Vietnam.

• Cons:rain, rain, rain
  • Last visit to Hue: Feb 2008
  • Intro Written Aug 10, 2008

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

It rained for days when I visited Hue too, but that was almost 20 years ago.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2010 at 4:14 AM

Wow. Your Hue page is much better than my tour guide was. Fantastic information. All the best!

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Thanks for your kind comments Malgorzata....Your Hue page....helpful and informative tips...too bad about the weather..Hmmm......I think its likely Ill be visiting about the same time of year that you were there...Ill bring some rain gear!

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Another excellent and informative page! I will cross my fingers for good weather while we are in Hue, although the rain does make for some beautiful photography doesn't it?

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Lovely photographs given the inclement weather.

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 10:37 PM

the nguyen dynasty buildings are amongst my list in visiting vietnam one day. even the weather looks unfriendly, but your pictures and writing are excellent! thanks for sharing with us :)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2008 at 6:44 PM

The weather may have been bad, but your tips and photos of these amazing tombs are amazing! As you say, it must be off-the-scale in sunshine!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2008 at 2:03 PM

This really looks like a very interesting place to visit. Oh well it looks like you were really unlucky with the weather.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Too bad about the rain, but I'm glad you didn't let the weather stop you from having a look at the historic sites. I had better weather (but no camera) when I was there in the summer of 1995.

magor65

“I'm no longer sure that what's important is more important than what is not”

Badges & Stats in Hue