"Franconian Rome" Bamberg by magor65
Bamberg Travel Guide: 436 reviews and 1,347 photos
Bamberg miraculously was spared the ravages of WWII, so the architectural scenery of the city is of unique value. The town was built on seven hills (each crowned with a church), that's why it is often compared to Rome. The four-spire cathedral erected on one of the hills is the most precious masterpiece of the city. But the whole complex of the Old Town is full of unique charm. Medieval churches, Baroque merchant houses with rich ornaments and spectacular details or a fisherman's quarter called 'little Venice' enchant numerous visitors who can't resist the beauty of the city. No wonder that Bamberg was inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1993. The ground for the inscription was the medieval layout of the city preserved to our times and about 2000 individual buildings of great historical value.
I spent just a few hours in Bamberg on our way from Meiningen to Ulm but it made a great impression on me and I'd love to visit it again.
St Michael stands on the highest of the seven hills of Bamberg. The walk from the cathedral leads up the old cobbled... more travel advice
The moment you enter the inner courtyard of the New Residence you step into another world. The air is filled with... more travel advice
magor65's Related Pages
Bamberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Famous landmarks"
- "Wonderful Bamberg"
- "Medieval Bamberg"
- "Beloved Bamberg !"
- "Bamberg - every cloud has a silver lining"
- "The best of Bamberg...."
- "Bamberg - an UNESCO world heritage site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bamberg
- Hotels in Bamberg
- Transportation in Bamberg
- Nightlife in Bamberg
- Restaurants in Bamberg
- Shopping in Bamberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Bamberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bamberg
- 9 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bamberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bamberg
Photos in BambergSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Namibia Intro, 31 reviews, 114 photos
- Portugal Intro, 27 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 45 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tuscany Intro, 23 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 38 reviews, 84 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 25 reviews, 91 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 23 reviews, 86 photos
- Ireland Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Czech Republic Intro, 19 reviews, 79 photos