"Eisenach - where history and legends intertwine" Top 5 Page for this destination Eisenach by magor65

Eisenach Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 371 photos

We wouldn't have visited Eisenach if it wasn't for the Wartburg castle - one of the oldest and most interesting of numerous castles in Germany, subscribed on the Unesco Heritage list. But Eisenach itself turned out to be a nice place with interesting architecture and important history marked by the lives of such outstanding personalities as J.S. Bach or M. Luther.

Another thing that makes Eisenach a destination worth visiting is its geographical location among the forested hills and green farms of central Germany close to Thuringian Forest which offers many hiking and cycling possibilities. We enjoyed our short walk through the picturesque Dragon Gorge (Drachenschlucht).
Another claim to fame is the factory which in times of the GDR manufactured a well-known car Wartburg.
All in all, Eisenach is definitely an interesting place to visit.

• Last visit to Eisenach: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2014 at 3:22 AM

I've really enjoyed reading this wonderful page! I would love to visit the town and see the Nicholas Gate and the impressive Wartburg Castle. Think I will have to be content with your page though!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 4:40 AM

Thank you Malgorzata for a wonderful page!! Your opening pic captured my interest!! So many things to see here! I have saved a few tips, thanks :o) We are planning our big Euro trip next year. Cheers, Ann.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Malgorzata, fantastic page about Eisenach, which we visited just for a few hours on our way to Weimar. Unfortunately, it was riny when we were there. Also we didn't make it to the Wartburg but enjoyed the old part of the town a lot.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 1:34 PM

A pity I missed Eisenach when I was in the area.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Excellent page about Eisenach bringing back sweet memories! Unfortunately we came to the Schloss too late and it was already closed. So we could watch it only from outside. Thanks Malgorzata for showing its interiors!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 8:14 AM

It seems you found a host of wonders in Eisenach - Wartburg castle, Dragon Gorge, St. George church and the narrowest house! Beautiful photos and excellent narratives as always! A very enjoyable page.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Love the photo of the Chapel in Wartburg Castle..Eisenach looks like an interesting place to explore..I'm wondering when I can make it there to see for myself..Lovely photos and interesting tips!Thanks for posting!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Such a wealth of information liberally studded with good photos = I enj0yed the virtual tour around '''''''''Eisenach!

magor65

“I'm no longer sure that what's important is more important than what is not”

Badges & Stats in Eisenach

Have you been to Eisenach?

Latest Activity in Eisenach