"Shigakogen - Ski Area in Nagano" Nagano-ken by Randy121
Nagano-ken Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 683 photos
This is the area where the 1998 Winter Olympics was held.
We flew into Narita Airport. Met our escort and she escorted us right to Shigakogen Ski Area. It took 2 trains and 1 bus to get there. Caught the bullet train to Tokyo (~90 minutes). Then we rode another train from Tokyo to Nagano (~90 minutes). Then rode a bus up to Shigakogen Ski Area (~90 minutes).
In all, it took 19 hours to get to Shigakogen from Hawaii.
If snows, the conditions are extremely powdery. It started snowing heavily in the early morning of our first day. By mid afternoon, the condition were very good. Lots of powder. Our group of snowboarders loved it!
The snow did freeze up a little on the night and days it didn't snow. One day there was heavy dense fog which made the conditions even worse.
No lines at lifts. The longest I waited in line was 1 minute.
There are many small areas to ski. Areas can be reached by using the large number of lifts and catwalks. Largest vertical drop is ~1500 feet. It's rather small. But if it snows, you will be treated to some awesome powder.
Shigakogen Ski Area Website. Check out the live cam.
Randy121's Related Pages
Nagano-ken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shigakogen - Ski Area in Nagano"
- "Nagano-ken, a mountainous region"
- "History, Natural Beauty, Gentle Farmers"
- "Welcome to my Nagano page"
- "KARUIZAWA - spa town in Nagano Prefecture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nagano-ken
- Hotels in Nagano-ken
- Transportation in Nagano-ken
- Nightlife in Nagano-ken
- Restaurants in Nagano-ken
- Shopping in Nagano-ken
- Warnings and Dangers in Nagano-ken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nagano-ken
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Nagano-ken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nagano-ken
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos
- Europe Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico City Intro, 1 review, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Sydney Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- London Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 7 reviews, 2 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.