"sLOVEnsko - Slovakia - my homeland" Slovakia by nelinka
Slovakia Travel Guide: 4,164 reviews and 10,826 photos
Looking at the map of Europe, you'll spot this little country right in the middle. Some geographers counted that the geographical centre of Europe lies in Slovakia, near the town Kremnica. Despite the central location, Slovakia isn't really a crossroad and still remains one of the Europe less known countries.
Slovakia is rich in mineral waters, mountains and medieval castles.
The Slovaks as one branch of the Slavic family have been living on this territory since the 5th century AD. From 1000 AD until 1918 the nation lived under the rule of the Hungarian emperors and this part of the empire was called Hungaria Superior (upper Hungaria). In 1918 The Slovaks and Czechs formed Czechoslovakia, that existed with a short break in 1939-1945 until 1993.
With a population of 5.5 million people, out of which almost 90% are Slovak nationals, Slovakia isn't any cosmopolitan country. Although for some 20 years now most students learn English at school, it may still be difficult to find English speaking people, especially in the most beautiful parts of the country.
The capital of Slovakia is situated in the south-west part of the country, just 1 hour drive from Vienna and about 2,5 hours from Budapest.
The city of cca 400 000 inhabitants is situated on both banks of the river Danube. It has a nice old town centre with some fine historical buildings, a castle, lively markets and squares.
- Pros:picturesque green country, mountains, castle ruins and spa towns
- Cons:people in customer service may seem unfriendly
nelinka's Related Pages
Slovakia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be ..."
- "Under-rated, small-big country!"
- "Slovakia; Czechoslovakia's other half"
- "Our Southern Neighbours"
- "Slovakia - well worth visiting !"
- "Paul2001's Slovakia Page"
- "My Slovakia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slovakia
- Hotels in Slovakia
- Transportation in Slovakia
- Nightlife in Slovakia
- Restaurants in Slovakia
- Shopping in Slovakia
- Warnings and Dangers in Slovakia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Slovakia
- 11 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Slovakia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slovakia
Top 10 Pages
- Ioannina Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos
- Trencin Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Nisos Nisyros Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Ilava Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Prefecture of Chalkidiki Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Greece Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Prague Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Paris Intro, 3 photos
- Slovakia Intro, 3 photos
- Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.