"Grand Marais - No Place Like This Home ;)" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Marais by gm_localgirl

Grand Marais Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 98 photos

Living in Grand Marais

No, I didn't grow up here. I've been "imported", and while I'll never be a true local- to all the real locals (that doesn't happen till 3rd generation I think!), I grew up in a place that was similar in alot of ways. It was the boonies.

Grand Marais is the boonies. There is no 24 hour anything (other than the credit card gas pumps). There is no movie theatre. There is no clothing store. In Grand Marais, the Hardware Hank is the Radio Shack is the Conoco Station is the DNR licensing place is the UPS/Speedee dropoff is the place where you renew your driver's license - and we call it "Buck's". In Grand Marais, hardly anyone just has one job. Everyone multitasks. It sometimes feels as if half the town owns a business or do some freelance work of some sort. In a town of 1,300- we have two art galleries, 38 different lodging properties (not counting rental property), and a restaurant that just serves fish. If you include the Gunflint Trail area- which is technically Grand Marais for mailing addresses- we have around 40 different canoe outfitters, and about 30 more lodging properties. We have (two) 'General Stores'- where you can get gas, food, pet supplies, gifts, a meal, snowmobile belts, and a workout.

• Pros:Its the Boonies. Its small, its tight-knit, and its awfully picturesque ;)
  • Cons:If you need to buy something at 2 am- you're definately out of luck.
  • In a nutshell:Right next to full-on wilderness, with some of the comforts of home :)
  • Intro Written Jun 5, 2004

Comments

gm_localgirl's Related Pages

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Grand Marais

Have you been to Grand Marais?

Latest Activity in Grand Marais