"Grand Marais - No Place Like This Home ;)" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Marais by gm_localgirl
Grand Marais Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 98 photos
No, I didn't grow up here. I've been "imported", and while I'll never be a true local- to all the real locals (that doesn't happen till 3rd generation I think!), I grew up in a place that was similar in alot of ways. It was the boonies.
Grand Marais is the boonies. There is no 24 hour anything (other than the credit card gas pumps). There is no movie theatre. There is no clothing store. In Grand Marais, the Hardware Hank is the Radio Shack is the Conoco Station is the DNR licensing place is the UPS/Speedee dropoff is the place where you renew your driver's license - and we call it "Buck's". In Grand Marais, hardly anyone just has one job. Everyone multitasks. It sometimes feels as if half the town owns a business or do some freelance work of some sort. In a town of 1,300- we have two art galleries, 38 different lodging properties (not counting rental property), and a restaurant that just serves fish. If you include the Gunflint Trail area- which is technically Grand Marais for mailing addresses- we have around 40 different canoe outfitters, and about 30 more lodging properties. We have (two) 'General Stores'- where you can get gas, food, pet supplies, gifts, a meal, snowmobile belts, and a workout.
- Pros:Its the Boonies. Its small, its tight-knit, and its awfully picturesque ;)
- Cons:If you need to buy something at 2 am- you're definately out of luck.
- In a nutshell:Right next to full-on wilderness, with some of the comforts of home :)
The "Devil's Kettle" is an interesting little geological spot in Judge C.R. Magney State Park. The Brule river flows... more travel advice
Its a bar- really good restaurant style food, karaoke on the weekends, live music on weekends sometimes, pool, darts-... more travel advice
gm_localgirl's Related Pages
Grand Marais Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grand Marais - No Place Like This Home ;)"
- "Leeches and Art on the North Shore"
- "Davenusa's new Grand Marais Page"
- "The End of the World"
- "Friendly Community tucked away up north"
- "Northern Paradise for Nature Lovers"
- "Grand Marais, Minnesota"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Marais
- Hotels in Grand Marais
- Transportation in Grand Marais
- Nightlife in Grand Marais
- Restaurants in Grand Marais
- Shopping in Grand Marais
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Marais
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Marais
- 9 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Grand Marais?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Marais
Top PagesSee All Travel Pages (2)
No friends yet.