"A soviet-styled capital hiding some true charm" Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent by carolerica
Tashkent Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 611 photos
I have been in Uzbekistan for a little over a month, and spent most of my time in Tashkent.
Tashkent is a huge soviet-styled city... No wonders when one knows that the 1966 earthquake has demolished the entire town, keeping just a tiny little section of the old town intact.
Tashkent is a very pleasant city, with huge avenues hidding a maze of tiny streets, huge fountains, parks everywhere, big buildings of the soviet time, or more modern ones all in mirors. The city is very "green" in the summer, nicely tended lawns on the street sides, flowers blooming at the street-crosses...
Easy to get around, thanks to taxis (officials and non-officials), bus, trams, trolleys, metro...
There are lots of places to discover, some very interesting museums that are worth going to, high quality theaters... and of course wonderful restaurants.
Every kind of sport is offered in or around Tashkent, from skying, jet-skying, golfing, to horse riding and paint-balling...
Uzbekistan is mostly known for its mythical oasis spead along the silk road.
From Tashkent it is possible to escape during week-ends to visit Khiva (see my travel page under Khiwa), Bukhara and Samarkand (as well as to the nearby mountains of Tcharvak). Either by plane, train, bus or cars can those cities be reached.
The three magical cities on the Silk Road are a MUST SEE in a life-time. I have rarely been speechless in front of a monument, but the beauty of those three cities are incredible, especially if you're an admirer of islamic art of the Middle-Ages. The mosaics are breathtaking, the "grandeur" of the Medersa are undeniable.
My personal favorite? The inner city of Khiva and the citadelles of the desert.
This is the Mausoleum of Abou Bakr Mohammed Kaffal Chachi. He was a doctor in islamology, philosopher, poet who lived in... more travel advice
This is a small museum settled in an absolutely exquisite house of a 19th century diplomat, who had craftmen from... more travel advice
carolerica's Related Pages
Tashkent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tashkent - full of life, color and so much charm"
- "A city rebuilt"
- "Capital of Uzbekistan"
- "A soviet-styled capital hiding some true charm"
- "Old world meets Russia"
- ""Stone Fortress": Uzbekistan's modern capital"
- "On the doors of Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tashkent
- Hotels in Tashkent
- Transportation in Tashkent
- Nightlife in Tashkent
- Restaurants in Tashkent
- Shopping in Tashkent
- Warnings and Dangers in Tashkent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tashkent
- 16 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Tashkent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tashkent
Photos in TashkentSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khiva Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provins Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Moresby Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Greece Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Nicosia Intro, 7 reviews
- Morocco Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouakchott Intro, 2 reviews