"BOVU iSLAND" Livingstone Game Park by tgirl007
Livingstone Game Park Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 20 photos
This is a small island located on the Zambezi river(Zambian side) and is the sister island to the well known Jungle Junction...which is currently under construction!The trip to Bovu is unique in itself.You rendevous at the office in Livingstone, you are then driven by 4x4(of course) for an hour to the zambezi river.On the banks of the river is a local village, which is awesome....such good good people, you are then put in a mokoro(dugout tree canoe) and poled across to the island.Bovu is like a rare diamond kept secret...this is like paradise.you can camp for about $5 a day, or rent a bungalow for about$10 per day!We spent new years 2004 here and only planned on staying 2 days...a week later we were still there...and could have stayed longer...much longer.The owner is so cool, a hippy guy straight out of the 60`s called stretch(because he`s tall)and the crew who works there are rad!During the day you can go on mokoro trips, see crocodiles lazing in the sun and see hippos from your mokoro less than 20 meters away...The night gaurd and i had many great talks late into the night around the camp fire, his name is Moffatt and he is from the village onland.He`s an old Zambian man, in his 60`s and father to 8 children.I loved his interesting tales about the hippos which graze on the island at night and the pythons which sleep on the paths!This man made my stay at Bovu such a rich experience.....will he ever know it???I love this place and like to go here as much as often....a warning though is that in summer malaria can be a big problem.if you are one to take prophalactics i suggest you do, but i prefer to not take them, I just administer a test when i return home.
Bovu is known for it`s party summer nights, so on new years, full moons etc....dont expect it to be calm, it`s a great place to meet like minded travellers, hippys, and trance gypsies.....spend all day cheeching, lying around in hammocks, and the night listening to beats, drumming, and sitting around the bar socialising.....excellent place....
- Pros:Paradise on the Zambezi
- Cons:Malaria, malaria,malaria
- In a nutshell:such a chilled experience for the open minded
tgirl007's Related Pages
Livingstone Game Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Eclipsing Encounter in Zambia!!"
- "Victoria Falls & Mosi Oa Tunya National Park"
- "BOVU iSLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Livingstone Game Park
- Hotels in Livingstone Game Park
- Transportation in Livingstone Game Park
- Nightlife in Livingstone Game Park
- Restaurants in Livingstone Game Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Livingstone Game Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Livingstone Game Park
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Livingstone Game Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Livingstone Game Park
Top 10 Pages
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaborone Intro, 10 reviews, 4 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Kasane Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maun Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Porto Alegre Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Ghanzi District Intro, 1 review, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nata Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Shakawe Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- London Intro, 1 review, 4 photos