"Lived here for five years" Top 5 Page for this destination Kalamazoo by KalamazooJohn
Kalamazoo Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 79 photos
Moved to Kalamazoo in 2002 when my wife got a job here. I transferred with my job and worked here, too. We both have found the town much to our liking. However, I have retired from my 26 years at the Post Office and my wife has accepted a job in Aberdeen, Washington state starting mid-2007. So long Kzoo!
Urban dwellers don't expect much from small rural cities like this. However, Kalamazoo has what any urban area's suburbs have. With a large university (Western Michigan) and a number of smaller schools, this town has a good many restaurants and nightclubs. Brewpubs are a Kalamazoo specialty, with three downtown. Unlike a typical city of this size, the downtown is not a mass of old vacant buildings, but is quite nice and prosperous. Cost of living is quite low, as the average home in the area runs about $125,000. My neighborhood grew in the 1920's and 30's when there was a paper mill boom here. We have sold our home in anticipation of our move. The well publicised "Kalamazoo Promise" may well bring more jobs to the city in the near future. If you are travelling east-west on I-94, stop by sometime and visit our city. Please have a look at the pictures in my Travelogue, linked at the bottom of the page.
- Pros:Happy people, Democratic enclave in Conservative state
- Cons:Not enough sunny days
- In a nutshell:as funky as it's name
There are two Big Moe's in Kalamazoo, and since the second one opened near my home, I've been there several times. An... more travel advice
I love to walk and new places get me on foot. Few people actually walk in the USA, so they miss all the delights of... more travel advice
KalamazooJohn's Related Pages
Kalamazoo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kalamazoo - Home of My Best Pal!"
- "What to Do in Kalamazoo"
- "My adopted hometown"
- "Lived here for five years"
- "Some of my favorite couches"
- "Candy Cane Lane"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kalamazoo
- Hotels in Kalamazoo
- Transportation in Kalamazoo
- Nightlife in Kalamazoo
- Restaurants in Kalamazoo
- Warnings and Dangers in Kalamazoo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kalamazoo
- 8 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Kalamazoo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalamazoo
- Posted in Travel Michigan Forum "Re: Small Towns - Michigan"
- updated a Kalamazoo Travel Page "Lived here for five years"
- Commented on one of Dundooni's Kalamazoo travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cycling out of traffic and in nature"
- Wrote a Review Local Barbeque always a good bet in Kalamazoo Restaurants
Photos in KalamazooSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalamazoo Intro, 8 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Antsirabe Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Prague Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pueblo Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- South Bend Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Madagascar Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Lancaster Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Chicago Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Washington D.C. Intro, 2 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Kalamazoo hotel reviews
- Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo East
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- TownePlace Suites Kalamazoo
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Henderson Castle Bed & Breakfast
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Motel 6 Kalamazoo
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Best Western Hospitality Inn
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013