"Lived here for five years" Top 5 Page for this destination Kalamazoo by KalamazooJohn

Kalamazoo Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 79 photos

Quite a nice town between Chicago and Detroit

Moved to Kalamazoo in 2002 when my wife got a job here. I transferred with my job and worked here, too. We both have found the town much to our liking. However, I have retired from my 26 years at the Post Office and my wife has accepted a job in Aberdeen, Washington state starting mid-2007. So long Kzoo!
Urban dwellers don't expect much from small rural cities like this. However, Kalamazoo has what any urban area's suburbs have. With a large university (Western Michigan) and a number of smaller schools, this town has a good many restaurants and nightclubs. Brewpubs are a Kalamazoo specialty, with three downtown. Unlike a typical city of this size, the downtown is not a mass of old vacant buildings, but is quite nice and prosperous. Cost of living is quite low, as the average home in the area runs about $125,000. My neighborhood grew in the 1920's and 30's when there was a paper mill boom here. We have sold our home in anticipation of our move. The well publicised "Kalamazoo Promise" may well bring more jobs to the city in the near future. If you are travelling east-west on I-94, stop by sometime and visit our city. Please have a look at the pictures in my Travelogue, linked at the bottom of the page.

• Pros:Happy people, Democratic enclave in Conservative state
  • Cons:Not enough sunny days
  • In a nutshell:as funky as it's name
  • Last visit to Kalamazoo: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 31, 2007

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2007 at 4:56 PM

hi nice tips on this little town. i think we pass thru this city when going from detroit to chicago?

• Robdaz's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2005 at 9:32 PM

Hi John, Downtown Kalamazoo looked a lot better than when I was there in 1991, studying at WMU. Go Broncos! Cheers Rob.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2005 at 7:07 PM

I enjoyed your Kalamazoo pages. We were there last summer and were amazed at how the downtown has been revitalized. It looks great. I lived in Kalamazoo all my life until we moved to Georgia in 1978. Go Broncos!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2005 at 1:00 AM

What does Kalamazoo mean? I shouldn't laugh, I guess, being from Flushing...

• Norali's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2004 at 12:21 PM

I am curious about the place where you live. Indeed, I am a frequent visitor but that may change in the near future (found a new job).

KalamazooJohn Used To Live Here!

KalamazooJohn

“When you have the time, everything is within walking distance”

Badges & Stats in Kalamazoo

Have you been to Kalamazoo?

Latest Activity in Kalamazoo