"Three weeks in the highlands of Madagascar" Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo by KalamazooJohn
Antananarivo Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 470 photos
We spent two weeks in Tana, a group of 14, most working in hospitals. It is a great city for walking in the daytime, and you will be pestered by street vendors, but nothing threatening. There are loads of things to see, but two weeks here, and you have done everything and will be ready to leave.
The Croc Farm and the zoo were both very great learning experiences. When you then go into country areas, you have a better idea of what to look for. Hire an official guide at the zoo. They can tell you a lot and will be fun comrads on your zoo visit.
City restaurants are mostly very western, and the food is usually very good. You have to be aware of e-coli bacteria in water and dairy, but you can avoid trouble by eating in clean places and drinking the beer. After the leadership crisis of several years ago, Tana is now a happy and bustling city. The new president is apparently honest and has a lot of public support. Do not fear a trip to Antananarivo.
Motor traffic is a little light, but we did come across these Zebu powered wagons.
Homes are on the hills, with the valleys taken for rice production, giving you a big city with a vast amount of open space.
- Pros:It's nothing like home; what a get away trip.
- Cons:can't drink the water
- In a nutshell:They do remarkably well with what they have to work with.
In a block of mostly Jewelers, near the Hotel Colbert, you will come upon this place that has baby clothes in the... more travel advice
My friend Jim and I went to the Croc Farm on a beautiful day. To get there, you need to take a taxi and have him wait... more travel advice
KalamazooJohn's Related Pages
Antananarivo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antananarivo, my birthplace - Tana, my first home"
- "Tana was an unexpected delight!"
- "BET YOU CAN'T SAY IT 3 TIMES REALLY FAST !"
- "Three weeks in the highlands of Madagascar"
- "Antananarivo - 'Tana' to you."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antananarivo
- Hotels in Antananarivo
- Transportation in Antananarivo
- Nightlife in Antananarivo
- Restaurants in Antananarivo
- Shopping in Antananarivo
- Warnings and Dangers in Antananarivo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antananarivo
- 6 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Antananarivo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antananarivo
- Posted in Travel Michigan Forum "Re: Small Towns - Michigan"
- Uploaded a Photo to "New place with great food and style in Tana"
- updated a Antananarivo Travel Page "Three weeks in the highlands of Madagascar"
- Wrote a Review Malagasy Handcrafts in Antananarivo Shopping
- Commented on one of ATLC's Antananarivo travel pages
Photos in AntananarivoSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalamazoo Intro, 8 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Antsirabe Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Prague Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pueblo Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- South Bend Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Madagascar Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Lancaster Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Chicago Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Washington D.C. Intro, 2 photos