"Brussels a lovely chaos." Brussels by Anne-Lieze

Brussels Travel Guide: 5,650 reviews and 11,941 photos

Abour 45 years ago I came to this country and...I'm still here.Belgium became my country and Brussels my hometown.I don't think I want to live in another place.First I lived in the beautiful bucolique region of 'Brabant Wallon' for 17 years and than came back to Brussels .

When I arrived Brussels was a nice sleepy town a humain city.As it became capital of Europe,I saw it grow,burst and scattered, scarred and vandalised.We tried to save art, architectury and history in town but the pressure was to big.Belgium has always been a zip in Europe between north and south.Even if we are and feel European, Europe is still looking for an identity and so is Brussels.

Fortunately there are now people who love and care for the city, who respect its history and who will help it to find its new identity and future to get out of the chaos it still is for the moment.

So my hometown is scattered in different areas where you can discover a lot of things,where conviviality is very important.Each area has its caracteristiques.Some quarters are in, hip and trendy, others are more intellectual or funny.That also means that you can find everything you are looking for in Brussels but...you have to look for it, to discover it.While you are strolling through the city from one tourist attraction to another,open your eyes and your heart, go to the people and try to talk to them.I'm sure you will like them.

Belgian people have a lot of retenu, they are shy but friendly and helpfull.So Brussels and the Brussellairs are things to discover and I can assure you that during all those years I discovered a lot of things, that's why I love this town.

Brussels also has a very rich patrimonium of 'folklore', a special way to bring the past alive of which the most stunning example is of course 'Manneken Pis'

make a wish

When you want a wish to come true,go to the statue of 't Serclaes on the Grand Place ande caresse it as so many people did before you and you're sure your wish becomes reality

who knows the legend of this churche?

Have a look at the beautiful carved stones of this churche.You know its legend ?I will tell you one day.Go inside and admire the wonderfull light coming through the windows.

• Intro Updated Apr 26, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I spent four days in Brussels in December and had a fine time, except that I was not able to access the CycloCity system. I see you have signed up for EuroMeet 2008 in Karlsruhe, so I look forward to meeting you there.

• sswagner's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Thank you for visiting my pages. We remember our visit to Brussels with great fondness--Steve and Sheri

• vpeter's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Beste, Jammer dat u er geen foto bij hebt. Het is zo'n wonderschoon gebouw. Vooral nu na de restauratiewerken.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 1:34 AM

What is Rupelmonde? Ciao!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Interesting introduction to Brussels! I hope you build more tips!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Ah, pictures are coming, Anne Lieze; Musee de la Gueuze is of course a must in Brüssel I guess. hope to visit next time I am around.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Hi Anne Lieze, Thx for the pictures, upgrading yr pages looking for more - greetz from Ghent

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Hi Anne, Very good and interesting start here. Any horse transport in Brussels, LOL!

Anne-Lieze Lives Here!

Anne-Lieze

“those far away places I've been dreaming about...”

Badges & Stats in Brussels

Have you been to Brussels?

Latest Activity in Brussels