"Land of sand and camels" Gouvernorat de Tunis by Anne-Lieze

Gouvernorat de Tunis Travel Guide: 282 reviews and 930 photos

I'm just back from Djerba so it's better to update this country first.Have been several times to this country, first the mainland : Tunis, Gammarth, Sousse, Monastir and Hammamet so this time I prefered the island of Djerba.It is a nice tourist country, sun sand and beaches.So if you like to do a deserttrek, to see troglodytes, cross the desert by camel or 4x4,this is the place.You can also spend your money in the soukhs and well if you are not too tired you can do a lot of sporting on the beaches.

If you like crossing the desert by 4x4 or do a cameltrek you need help of the local people or you are lost! Not a region to do hitchhiking or backpackin !You can organise them in south Tunesia in Douz 'the door to the dessert'.Haven't done that for that seems to cold for me and sandstorms are not my favorits.But that must be a nice trip !Sleeping in the desert, looking at the beautiful sky, dreaming of the universe and feeling the loneliness of being part of all this, must be a terrible experience.In december you have a festival in Douz, a big camelmarket where nomads gathers to sell their animals, must be interesting to see that.The other famous camelmarket is in India in November in Puskar

Hiking through the sans

Djerba itself is just a small island with a tourist zone.You can turn around with the local taxis.These are very cheap and not expensive at all.I turned around a whole day to have some nice point of views,to visite the poterie village Guellala, the synagogue and Houmt Souk just for 15 DT !What is interesting is that Djerba can be a starting point for a lot more things to see.I can't put them all here so I will do it in the 'tips' part and give the prices.But as prices chages, this is only an indication.Hope I will find my way trough my PC in a few month to take the prices off.People are very honest so you can rely on them for these trips...maybe they will ask you a little bit more for the service........

• Last visit to Gouvernorat de Tunis: May 2007
  • Intro Updated May 16, 2007

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 1:18 AM

Nice little report on Tunesia, beautiful pictures Greetz - Luc

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Beautiful pictures, Anne -Lieze. Hope you had good time in Djerba; myself, I prefer the desert, but not with 4X4! Camel market! may be I will purchase a camel, one day!! haha :-)

Anne-Lieze Visits Here Frequently!

Anne-Lieze

“those far away places I've been dreaming about...”

Badges & Stats in Gouvernorat de Tunis

Have you been to Gouvernorat de Tunis?

Latest Activity in Gouvernorat de Tunis